Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 12, 2006, 2:26 AM   #1

last saturday I went to zoo just to take some photos. I used vivitarseries 1 70-210 2.8-4. because it's ricoh mount I had to use it in M mode, but I'm happy with results. I took over 150 photos, all in RAW. after converting I have 56. rest is gone due to camera shake or taking batch of similar pitures. because saving tiff in RawShooter makes exifhistory I can only tell you that most of them were taken at f 5.6 to 8. I tried some wide open at 210mm but they came out quite soft, but around 5.6-8 it's very sharp lens. Here thay are:

another one, it's a little shaky (I can't handhold this lens at 210mm with 1/125s, too heavy for me) but I like the pose of this animal

one little guy

and last one

by the way, can anyone tell me if the aperture of this lens stays the same at both ends of zoom. I mean it has max f 16 but is it f 16 at 70mm and 210mm or does it goes up at 210mm like other lenses. and at 210mm I still can set it to 2.8 but it has min aperture of 4 at 210mm. so how does it work?

and another thing. I learned very valuable lesson that day: don't take bag full of lenses to zoo, it will only give you backpain (unless you want to shoot some small creatures behind glass). this 70-210 was all I needed for this trip.

If you want to see more of my photos from this visit plese let me know, I'll upload them for you.

any comments welcomed
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:49 AM   #2

Wow! Great shots! I LOVE that one of theJaguar in front of the waterfall.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:25 AM   #3

fantastic shots. very sharp and good color rendition. i especially like the peacock. good advice regarding lens choices on a outing. i think once i get my sigma 70-300 apo, it will be my walk around lens i hope. please post more zoo pics.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:25 PM   #4

Jaguar by the waterfall is really not that sharp when viewed at 100% due to camera shake, and I don't know why did I cut his tail off?

I try not to crop my pictures but 210mm was kinda short in some places and I just had to do it to make them look better. I could use extra 100mm. I also tried to shoot without any manmade structures in the backroud so they look more natural.

you can find more at

gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote