Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 22, 2006, 4:21 AM   #1

Any thoughts on the best flash unit to get for my recently purchased Samsung GX-1S?

I've asked a recent question on flash set-up for family portraits and had some interesting replies. I'd like now to buy an on-camera flash.

I'd like a compact unit, and the AF-360 FGZ looks fine. It doesn't swivel though and I'd have thought this quite essential in a flash unit - unless you believe otherwise...

The larger Pentax flash does swivel but looks rather big. Any other makes/models you'd recommend that are: compact, swivel, and use most/all of the camera's capabilities?

Hope you can help.

jmvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2006, 4:56 AM   #2

Your facing the same question that I have been, and increasingly my choice has come down to the Sigma EF 500 DG Super. The only thing that I find upsetting about this, but it seems that it applies to the Pentax guns as well, is that although the implication is that you can use the flash off camera in wireless mode triggered by the cameras own onboard flash this would in fact seem not to be the case. However it seems otherwise to offer all of the features that you are after at a reasonable price, just bear in mind that you are going to need a cable and adapter to use it off camera.

dms25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 6:09 AM   #3
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I use a Sigma 500 DG Super with my DL and am generally pleased with the performance. I especially like the high speed sync mode. Re. the wireless capaibility, Dom is correct in that while the flash has the capability, ensure that your camera does too. The DG 500 Super can however be triggered as a slave unite by the pop-up flash on the camera.

Your other option is to buy a simpler (less expensive unit) and use it in manual mode. Some on this forum (Ira for instance) report good results with it.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 7:13 PM   #4

I also use the Sigma 50DG and have found it to work well, and to be very dependable. You can always refer to the Flash Thread that I did a month or so ago. It broke the record for the most views and the most replies on this forum.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote