Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 25, 2006, 4:35 PM   #31

Price attracted me (the *ist DL deal I found on Fatwallet.com back in June), and after reading up on the internet, I saw what a value it was, so I took the plunge.

I had been in a P&S arms race, moving from the Canon S1 (now my "camcorder") to the Kodak P850, and I still wasn't totally happy with the results. I bought the DL and fell in love with it. Of course, in true "gear head" fashion, I sold it 6 weeks later to fund the purchase of the K100D, since I really wanted shake reduction.

I've since added a stable of (mostly cheap) lenses and have had a blast taking pictures. I'd like to think that they are slowly getting better as well.

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 5:24 PM   #32

I was looking for a dSLR in the xmas of 05. I didnt like the way the Rebel XT felt, the grip was too small. Was going to go for the Nikon D50 but wasnt really sure if I wanted to spend $899 on that camera at the time. The KM 5D look very intresting with the anti-shake sensor. I had my heart set on that one, but everyone was sold out. Wait for another month, but still no retailer had the 5D in stock.

Saw the Pentax DS on sale at costco for $499 with lense, and thought that was a killer deal. I did some research on the Pentax camera and it seems like it was designed for someone like me. I did not have a lot of money to spend on lense and I realized that you can mount almost every pentax lense they made on the camera. I found some high quality glass for under $100 and bought the camera to go with it.

I guess it was faith that made me end up with my Pentax DS.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 2:21 AM   #33

I'll keep it simple. I bought mine because it was $200 cheaper than the Canon or Nikon at the time. I thought, and still do think, that they're all very good. But the $200 I saved at the time bought me a couple of starter lenses to get me going. To be honest, I still wonder if I made the right choice at times. But then again, I'm never happy with anything I buy, and there is no perfect camera. My biggest gripe with Pentax is the availability of longer lenses. Had to search and search for my FA*300, whereas if I'd bought from the dark side, I could have walked down to the corner and had all kinds of different choices for long lenses. That's my biggest gripe-poor long lens avaiability......cheers.......Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 3:52 AM   #34

My K100D:
Great price
Superb viewfinder
High-quality build, good materials
Lens compatibility
Very user-friendly
Well thought-out design
ISO performance
Not a feature less than competition (d50, 350D)

And all the friendly people in this forum. Somehow I felt that Pentax people care about photogtaphy more than about expensive gear.
Verloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 6:39 AM   #35

Well, I just joined this forum 2 days ago, and this looks like a great opportunity to make my first post and new friends! Let's see… I've been reading and reading and I love the site and think the members have a lot to offer! So, why did I choose Pentax – admiration for reliability, feel & features I would have to say.

I graduated from HS and got a Konica Auto-Reflex as a gift from my parents. I took several photography courses at a local community college and took pictures of every subject and at every opportunity. Got drafted and while in the Army, became Battalion photographer. I was given a Pentax Spotmatic with a 50mm & 135mm lens to use – and fell in love with the camera and lenses. I dragged that thing everywhere – rain or shine, snow, freezing cold – you name it. It was dropped, handled hard, dented, scratched and often covered in food or coffee!! But that camera was a tank and never quit! A few years after leaving the military, I purchased a Spotmatic II when they came out and have been with Pentax ever since! Moved up to the MF, then ME-Super then MX – sold those when I upgraded to the PZ series and just went nuts. I owned every PZ model 1P, 10, 20, 70 and the rare 50 that I got on a trip to Europe. I have managed to collect 9 FA lenses, all black models – the majority of which are the AF/AZ variety. I sold off all but the PZ-1p & PZ-20 cameras, keeping the majority of the lenses. Decided to go to digital finally and bought a Minolta A1. Despite full satisfaction with the A1, I decided it was time to make the final leap to DSRL and with all my lenses, the choice was a no-brainer IMO. Thought I was leaning on an *ist-DS, after much research, I bought a K100D "kit" Nov 7, 2006 and now all my remaining 35mm equip is up on that auction site! Though I like the FA lenses, the power-zoom feature is now useless and I have to live with the extra weight. Perhaps some day in the future, a new Pentax DSLR model will support them. I do think that the best lenses Pentax ever made were the ones for the Spotmatic cameras – the Super-Takumars. Those were truly some great pieces of glass!! I don't miss the thread-mount however!!

Maybe I've been lucky or just tender with my equipment, but I have never had an equipment failure with a Pentax body, lens or flash! I like the feel & look of the equipment and the way the company treats its customers. Backward compatibility on their lenses is just a small example of customer loyalty. Sure there are other great cameras out there – but none even close to the price of the Pentax DSLRs.I guess I'm just "branded". Looking forward to learning here and shooting some great pictures. :-)
quietnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:01 AM   #36

Hard to read the white type when I am using a white background! The new K10D will allow use of the old powerzoom features on your lenses.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 1:35 PM   #37

Former Canon point-and-shoot user, first the Powershot A300 and then the S1-IS. Wanted a step up from the Sx-IS series, especially a manual focus ring and better low light (indoor) ability. Looked mighty hard at the FZ30, till Panny offended me by stuffing too many pixels into the FZ50, covering the chaos with excessive noise reduction, and failing to improve the video mode. Gave up on the P&S world, decided to buy a DSLR.

Bought the K100D because of in-body SR working on every lens Pentax ever made. Anincredible value compared to Canon and Nikon.

Also real frustration that Canon seemed to be limiting high-end P&S features like RAW, manual zoom and focus rings, etc., to drive buyers to the XT. They drove me to a DSLR all right, but not to the one they wanted.

I still miss the video on the S1, but otherwise the K100D is everything I wanted.

BrettTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 3:01 PM   #38

SR and the low iso got me
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 6:35 PM   #39

A brand new Pentax ist DL for $321 with the 18-55mm kit lens from Circuit City is what made me take the Pentax plunge.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 5:36 AM   #40

i somehow missed this one

i wanted to learn photography with an slr camera
the guy behind the camera shop counter recommended the K1000
(all the schools were using them for photography classes at the time)
i have used Pentax ever since
and still using my old lenses on my ist ds

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote