Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 23, 2006, 1:42 AM   #1

In your opinion, what makes Pentax cameras better than, say, Canon or Nikon?
jmvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2006, 3:14 AM   #2

jmvideo schreef:
The question is: Why did you buy a Pentax.

I bought a Pentax because i did not have any arguments to change brand.

And the man in the camerashop went along with me so I did not hear anything that could change my mind.

The second question: What makes Pentax cameras better than Canon or Nikon.

I cannot answer that question, I never had a Canon or Nikon camera. But I think that you can make a list of likes and dislikes of each camera and that it will be a matter of what is important to you.

Richard who still likes his *IST dl very much.

Ritro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 5:24 AM   #3

Originally bought a film body back in the mid 80's because of the small size (travel). Once I had a few lenses, I stuck with the system. I bought a few other film bodies and accessories so when I went digital I kept with Pentax so I kept the number of new goodies to a minimum.

Turns out to have been a good (and lucky) move.

Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 7:25 AM   #4

I was Already a Pentax owner from the Late 70's. So i already had Lenses. When i decided to get the DSLR. I made it a point to Check all Brands. In the end i narrowed it down to Nikon D70 And the DS. However the DS just felt better in my hand and I had All My Pentax M-Lenses. So i Decided that the Pentax made the most scence.

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 8:22 AM   #5

BK pretty much summed it up for me with his post. i had 4 primes from the late '70s and they work marvelously with the DS.

Old Sep 23, 2006, 8:47 AM   #6

my reasons for choosing pentax (ist dl);

price (both the initial cost of the camera and kit lens, and the lower cost of adding more lenses later because of the availability of used Pentax lenses)

i had owned a k-1000 and 4 pentax lenses and was happy with the quality

i seriously considered the olympus e-500 two lens kit as it was close in price (if you lucked out on e-bay) but i couldn't see the info in the viewfinder without moving my head around (i wear glasses) and the longer zoom included in the kit wasn't as long as i really wanted which would mean buying another (expensive) lens.

i lurked on this forum for a while and was impressed with the people who posted here, and they mostly seemed very satisfied with their cameras. there are few photographers in the tiny town where i live (and none i know of with dslrs) so i kind of depended on these folks for the personal recommendation thing

if i had had say $2-3k to spend i probably would have ended up with a C. with my budget the ist dl was the best value for dollar. i am not unhappy with my choice and now with the new pentaxes available or announced if i want to upgrade in the future i can with out breaking the bank.

all the best, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 8:53 AM   #7

In answer to your question,what makes Pentax better? For me it would be the price. A woman I respect and admire(yes we have dated) is getting married in October. Back at the begining of August she had asked me to photograph her wedding. At the time I told her all I have is a P&S and might be able to borrow my dads Nikon 35mm and I'm hardly a professional photographer. But she said they just didn't have enough cash for a pro and would be happy with anything I could do. So I said yes, as any friend would. I got to thinking it might be time to upgrade my P&S from the Kodak 5mp 3X zoom model I currently owned, so I started looking around a bit. Saw an ad in the paper at the local camera store for the first dslr that I might be able to afford. It was the Pentax DL, on sale with rebate. So I drove on down and took a look at it and the Nikon 50. Both were within range although the Nikon was 100 bucks more. So I came home, did a search on line, and found that the Pentax was backward compatible with a HUGE selection of lenes.It was a decent camera and might fit the bill. So I took the plunge. Now all I have to worry about is taking the best pics possible with the little set up I have. Damn I wish I could afford a medium format lol. If I had tons of cash, I might have went with C or N. One of the pro models with the huge MP count etc. But on my budget, as an amature just learning whats what? There was only one choice really. Pentax.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 9:05 AM   #8

Count me in with the last few posts. I had old spotmatic from a pawn shop (my brother also has a couple of pentax lens) so when I went to update my film camera, I really liked the zx7 & it just made sense. Then when I wanted to go digital, I went at it with an open mind & willing to get rid of a couple of lenses if nedd be. So I found dpreview.com, read the reviews of the pentaxes, a few canons, & a dozen or so nikons. Then a friend let me borrow his ist-ds for a couple of months & I was sold! I went to local camera shop & picked up an ist-dl & I think a nikon d50. The dl just felt right in my hands as soon as I picked up....I purposedly tried the nikon 1st & it just didn't feel right! No comparisonbut along the same lines, a week before I met my wife, I met another girl but went to give her a hug & "it just didn't feel right" so..... over 8years later, it still feels right!!:-)

wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 9:46 AM   #9

jmvideo wrote:
They aren't, they're just what we chose for.

I bought the DL because of 2 things: the way it was built (looks & feels nice to me) and for the largest part the fact that I got one for an amazing price.

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 9:58 AM   #10

I'm not really sure why. I wanted to upgrade to dSLR from my FZ 10, I was thinking about C 350D but then I read in Panasonic section of this forum about Pentax and lens compatibility, so I went to shop feel it (it was DL2) liked it, was 70 pound cheper than 350D and bought it. without reading any reviews. I just looked at photos posted on this forum and I liked them. so for the price of 350D I have DL2 with kit lens, M 50mm 1.7 and Vivitar series 1 70-210 (both of ebay)and I'm happy with that.

gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote