Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 1, 2006, 2:33 PM   #11

In the pop photo podcast interview the manager from {entax confirms that you will need the da* lenses for complete weather protection but with a little effort you can use older one without problems. He fails to expound on what little effort is required but I assume he means to cover it with a bag.
humzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:50 AM   #12

Hi humzai

For your wide-angle lens choice, have a look at DA12-24/4 and DA14/2.8. Both are excellent lenses.

You can couple the wide angle lens from above with either DA16-45/4 (available now) or the coming soon DA*16-50/2.8 (early 2007?). A bang-for-the-buck alternative here is the kit lens DA18-55/3.5-5.6.

For your long end, you can go with DA50-200/4-5.6 (available now) or the upcoming DA*50-135/2.8 or the DA*60-250/4.

Personally I would go for the combination of DA12-24/4, DA16-45/4 and DA* 60-250/4, as they will be cheaper than their 2.8 counterparts and will be smaller in size. If I need fast lens, I will complement them with a few fast primes (eg DA14/2.8, FA35/2, 77/1.8, 135/2.8, etc).

humzai wrote:
I am anticipating the release of the K10d as the weather seals and stabalization are very appealing to me. My experience with cameras is a bit limited and I need some advice. Because one buys into the system as whole what does everyone think of the selection of lenses available for Pentax Cameras, is it equivalent or better then the C or N?

I want to buy a few lenses when and if I purchase the camera so as to have at least some bit of flexibility and my budget isn't much of an issue. I guess I would want a nice wide angle and at least a decent mid to long telephoto but I don't really know enough to know what leneses I should consider. I also find the smc P-DA Fish-Eye 10-17mm fascinating and may purchase one soon after the camera.

Thanks for taking the time to read my musings.
kjao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:48 AM   #13

The new * lenses will also be supersonic. Booya
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:41 PM   #14

I was thinking that I might get two of the pancake limited primes 40 and 70 and the da 10-17 fisheye soon and along with the kit lens be fairly well set and later purchase the da* 16-50 and the 50-135. The only thing I'm kind of concerned about is I plan to get into the pentax system in a fairly big way and unlike the other brands there isn't any room to grow body wise and if they do make a K1d full frame camera then my lenses will be useless.
humzai is offline   Reply With Quote