Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:04 PM   #11

"he may try a ND filter "

An ND filter reduces light level in both highlights and shadows - just like reducing aperture or increasing shutter speed.

If you are in auto Mode and you put on an ND filter, the camera will just increase aperture or reduce shutter speed to get the light level it wants.

An ND Filter is only helpful if the light is so bright that minimum aperture and fastest shutter speed at lowest ISO still causes overexposure (or you want to force a particular aperture or shutter).

MikeAusA200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:18 PM   #12

I keep thinking about getting a graduated ND filter for landscapes. Too bad they don't make one where you could control the shape of the darker part - then you could custom-size it to cover just the dress. I know, I'm dreaming, aren't I? And it's not a very helpful answer - just agreeing that a ND filter doesn't help when the scene is beyond the dynamic range of the film/sensor.

This is probably a stupid idea, but a polarizer changes how the lens "sees" the light by only allowing light coming from one direction (I think that's how it works, I'm no expert and its after my bedtime). I wonder if it would help in this specificsituation- a possible theory being that the white dress was reflecting more light than the other colors surrounding it? Can some of the experts who really know about these things tell me if my idea is all wrong or if there might be something in it? I really don't know what I'm talking about.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:04 AM   #13

mtngal - a polarising filter works by selectively removing light which has a particular polarisation.

But not all surfaces polarise the light - the sky does and water does, but smooth fabrics don't !

Thanks - Mike
MikeAusA200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:53 AM   #14

I would try half ND filters. I bought one used for $3.00 and got a step up-ring to boot.

It is a 49mm filter which fits on my FA 50 1.7 and with the step up-ring 49 => 52 it works great on my 18-55mm and 50-200mm DA lenses.

Here is a link to check out what I just yabbered about.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:30 AM   #15

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"grad ND filters are useful only when shooting lanscapes, or scenes with different brightnes from top to bottom.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"regular ND filter would just reduce amoun of light reaching sensor so it would just extend shutter speed.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"only way to shoot scenes like that (wedding photo) is to use spot metering and bringing up details in darker areas using photoshop.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:59 AM   #16

I set my DS2 almost exactly like jabilson007 most of the time, and like him, have found that the DS2 left to itself (i.e., no exposure compensation) will usually give an overall underexposure, which tends to preserve highlight detail. So I, too, often use a + compensation to get digicam-like exposure overall, but it does increase my risk of highlight blowout. On the other hand, setting Contrast -1 helps preserve some highlights.

A suggestion -- for a static situation like a posed wedding shot, you could bracket exposures, to give yourself more options later on.

dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote