Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 6, 2006, 8:36 PM   #1

Looking for suggestions on how to improve image. I will mention that I did not want to crop out the birds in the upper left hand corner.

Attached Images
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2006, 12:52 PM   #2

Hey Ed,

I am still trying to learn the basic points of composition myself (the finer points will have to come later). I would say that if you want both the birds and the skyline you had to compose it just the way it is. Was the sunset really that yellow? I have noticed my K100d has a tendency to really oversaturate the yellows in sunset pictures, especially in the brilliant setting. My personal preferance for the composition would be to get more of the foreground and less of the sky in the shot but that would have lost you the birds (and I don't know what was in the foreground, you may have wanted to avoid it for a reason besides the birds).

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2006, 2:07 PM   #3

Yes the sky was that yellow, a few minutes later the sun rose behind the clouds and became more yellow, looked like yellow Rain. The foreground is homes and buildings, not very interesting. I have more exposures that I will crop, including the yello rain bathing the tall buildings in rays of yellow. Will crop indiffernt manner and post a couple when ready.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 7:26 AM   #4

Well, the basic rule is to use the "Golden ratio" or the rule of thirds.

For example, this image would have looked more "pleasing" if there was 1 third of land & 2 thirds of sky.

There isnt much you can improve about it now, but in when composing this image, you could have turned the camera to compose it vertically.

here are some links about composition & the golden ratio:

Very nice colors though, apart from a bit of unlucky composition, nice image

Keep shooting!

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 7:57 AM   #5

The birds are a tad too small but then you can't control that. Did you get a photo of the birds by themselves?
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 6:39 AM   #6

pesonally all i would do is make the sun a pale yellow so it doesnt look quite so stark
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote