Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:00 PM   #1

OK, here's the deal. I have pre-ordered the K10D and the following lenses. First I purchased the Tamron 28-75 2.8. I have not seen a bad comment yet on this lens and many outstanding images! A no-brainer? Next on the list is a Pentax M 50mm 1.7, don't believe I can go wrong with this one, the only drawback is it's manual, gotta get used to that. Finally, (for now...lol ), is the Sigma 70-300 APO newer version ( Super ll ). I've seen many very good results from the APO version of this lens. However, many also say you can get a "bad copy" and it will not be up to snuff, and some think the Tamron 70-300 is better. Can I get some feedback on which you all prefer and why? The Sigma is on order, but is not in stock at the moment, so I still can change to the Tamron if you can convince me it's better. I alsobought a Tamron 2X AF teleconverter ( 7 elements ), any opinions on this? I know IQ will go down some, but I'm not even sure it'll work....:-( This is my 1st DSLR and I'm on a very steep learning curve, but I think I've done enough research to pick these items as a good starting point. So, what do you think, am I off to a good start, or do I need to refine my choices? What I like to mainly shoot is nature and wildlife. I rarley do anylandscape type shots, so I don't really need a wide angle. The 28-75 Tamron should be plenty wide enough for me. I like to have a long zoom range, hence the 2X TC and the 70-300, mainly for birding. I have a BSA RDS ( red dot sight ), which is an excellent tool I've been using with my Pany FZ30. One more question. I have a Nikon 1.7 TC I use with my Panny ( it screws right onto the filter ), will this work on any lens I put on the Pentax? Also, will something like the MCON40 or Nikon 4T ( macro lenses )work also. I've got a few dollars invested in those, ( the Nikon TC alone was $300 ), so I'd like to be able to use em. So......that's my story for now....still waiting for my K10D to be released. Opinions, suggestions, comments, anything, please let me know what you all think of my purchases so far.... this is gonna get expensive, already is!...Oh well, ya only go round once right?

cheers, Wayne
waynespixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:51 PM   #2

Since you already have the add-ons, try them and see what your results are. Post pictures here, because I'd be interested to see how they do. They should work with the lenses, as long as they are the same diameter or larger (and use a step-up ring). If they are smaller diameter than the lens, you'd have a problem. Digital is so lovely - you don't have to worry about the expense of film!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:50 AM   #3

The Tamron 28-75 and the k10d should be a good match. With the crop factor you will not have any wide angle on this lens(28*1.5=42mm in 35mm equiv). Though I am assuming you ordered with the kit lens and then you would have that if you need it.

Personally I don't waste my time with manual lenses, AF is faster and more accurate for me(except macro). Maybe the 50mm 1.4 or the 31mm 1.8 would be a better choice. I tried the 70-300 and found it to be very nice to 200mm after that softer and really soft at edges. Also it would not auto focus with my 2x converter at 300mm, not enough light getting to sensor(you loose 2 stops with a 2x TC). You may want to consider the SIGMA 135-400 and crop the 10mp down to 5mp unless you are going to print bird posters. I like the reviews for SIGMAs 70-200mm 2.8 and then you could also use the SIGMA 2x TC with minimal IQ loss.

All the filter TC and macros should work as they did on your panasonic with the same limitations. You may need to buy stepping rings to mount them.

K10d+17-70mm 2.8-4.5+70-200mm 2.8+50mm 1.4+2x TC+ AF360 FGZ and I'll be very happy. Approx. $2500 total. I'm taking donations.[img]images/emoticons/icon_lol.gif[/img]
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 11:30 AM   #4

You can get the A version of the 50mm 1.7 also, it costs more but you have the electric contacts to record exif data and it is a little easier to use with Av mode, though I have seen some reviews that say the M version is slightly better optically. If it is an M you want, I have one I was planning on putting on ebay, I got it as part of a package deal and I already have an A and an F. Just PM me.

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote