Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 24, 2006, 7:48 PM   #11

Ira, did you choose to get the Tiffen UV protector or the ultra clear ww filter ?

I'm not quite sure what the diffences are between the two.

Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 7:49 PM   #12

bobinoz wrote:
I just picked up a 62mm Hoya Circular polarizing filter for my Sigma 18-125mm at a camera market. It cost $20 and is quite interesting for taking shots in the sunshine. By rotating the filter you are able to manipulate the polarizing affect which rendered the sky in a really nice deep blue colour.

62mm filters are cheap. 77mm filters are rare and very expensive. Last time I checked, Hoya 77mm Circular Polarizer costs about $150 to $200. If I'm going to use a filter on my 24-135, it will be a CP but it is too expensive for my $99 lens.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 4:49 AM   #13

I get all my gear at cost as i work in a camera store, just bought myself a 77mm and an 82mm polarizers for my 2 new lenses and they werent cheap - and I paid cost price for them
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:50 AM   #14

as for protection goes I read an article somewhere which made a good point about this issue. front element even on old lenses are very tough. it's not that easy to scratch it. if you look on lenses on ebay how many can you find with scratched front element? not many, but thare's a lot of them in exc condition. assuming they were used fairly often it's very good result. so I don't use UV filter. as for polarizer cheaper way than buying one for each lens is to get cokin filter holder and one linear polarizer. with adaptors it fits all lenses up to 88mm thread and is way cheaper that buying multiple filters.

gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote