Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 1, 2006, 9:02 AM   #11

Well, the kit lens is definitly a keeper.

Here in Belgium it sells seperately for €189, that's about 240$

It's very sharp & bright if you ask me, no complaints.

Now there are 2 "limitations" about it if you ask me:

1. Although the 18mm end is great to work with, I'd like a little more "reach" at the tele end.

2. f3.5-5.6 is not bad at all, but for things like concerts and low light situations, I'd look for something faster.

So basicly the only thing I'd consider upgrading to is something in the range 24-70mm or something similar with an f2.8 aperture...

Those are very expensive though (well for me they are), so I just keep the kit lens and other bargains I can find on ebay/2nd hand market.

If you really want something spectacular, try to find one of the SMC-A primes. I use the 50mm f1.7 and it's sharp as a knife! + I only paid 35$ for it...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 11:48 AM   #12

danielchtong wrote:
The kit lens part at above 50mm could only be wide open at F5. That is weak. Also he has DL with no SR . Individual skilled user like you may be ok. Average people will have problem in low light situation. A fast 50mm is always handy as a walkaround lens.

TC3 wrote:
You say weak but i have handheld the kit lens at high iso in night shots and got good results.....down to the SR i guess
That is a good point ....which is why i have an FA 50 1.4 too
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 8:36 PM   #13

Thank you all guys for your comments! I will upgrade when I have money.
storgrejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2006, 2:35 PM   #14

I'm always pleased with the results from the kit lens. For the ~$60 premium over the body only, it's well worth it. Here's a wide shot I took with it. I corrected the barrel distortion in PPL3.

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote