Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 5, 2006, 9:35 PM   #1

Hi All,

I spotted some Dark-eyed Juncos hanging out with the ever-present song sparrows, so I threw out some seeds to see if I could attract them close enough to shoot from inside since it's been pretty cold lately. This is not a formal comparison, just wanted to get some shots of the Juncos, and since these were just outside my back door, I had the luxury of having both lenses on hand (I probably wouldn't be carrying both very often).

The lenses: Tamron SP300/2.8 LD IF Adaptall II (MF) and the Pentax FA* 300/4.5 ED IF, both taken through a relatively clean window. Both were stopped down @1 stop from max. and handheld with a DS, as it was the only way I could follow these quick little guys around.

Here's how the Tamron saw it. f4, 1/125. ISO 400:

And this one wiht the FA*. f 5.6 (ok a half stop!) 1/125, ISO 800.

They are different birds, so the coloring is different, the second being a "slate" variation. Actually, the Tamron is a touch warmer in rendering colors, comparing shots with the same background elements.

Surprisingly, for close subjects, the 4lb 14oz Tamron 300/2.8 is not as bad to handhold as I had anticipated. I just can't stand there with the camera up to my eye for nearly as long as I can with the 2 lb FA*300/4.5. For more distant subjects, I find handholding the Tam not advisable, even at significantly higher shutter speeds. I get a higher percentage of keepers so far with the Pentax, but SR might change that a bit.

After seeing a bunch of shots from these two lenses, I find the Pentax a little sharper wide open, and obviously easier to handle, but the Tamron is 1 1/2 stops faster and no slouch -- and appears to be a great alternative to the A*300/2.8 ED IF, at least for me (That lens might be a nice dream, but at significantly over $2k, I'm not likely to be seeing one in my future). The reason I got the Tam was that it gives me a pretty sharp 510mm f4.8 limited AF lens with the PF1.7x AFA at about 1/4 the cost of a used Pentax A*300/2.8, but it is a real monster of a lens.

All in all, two very very competent long tele lenses for Pentax DSLRs. Can't wait to see what they'll do with the K10D!!!!!

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2006, 10:00 PM   #2

My FA*300 will be arriving this week and I'm looking forward to testing it out on the many birds that are migrating through my region now.

For a through-the-window shot, that junco looks pretty good to me!
Tom Lusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:04 AM   #3

Well, I'm certainly impressed! Somehow I can't imagine handholding a 4 lb. lens, no matter how close!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:37 AM   #4

th etam looks very sharp. i think a better comparrison would be with both at f4. the FA* would probably still beat the tam even wide open.