Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 8, 2006, 2:27 PM   #11

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Instead of using ISO 1600 when without S.R....I heard that with the S.R., I can be using ISO 400 instead!

that might be a little over the top, but I guess in some situations you could win 2 stops with the SR (when you have enough time)

With this lens though, you'll be able to shoot at 800 and lower all the time.

I have the A 1.7 and even at f1.7 it's sharper than my other lenses!

low light performance is great: this shot was taken indoors with yellow lamps at f1.7 and ISO 800 with the DL:

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 2:59 PM   #12

Oh and mine is the FA 1.4 and they were shot in AF
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:12 PM   #13

I ordered theFA 1.4 from my local camera storethree weeks ago. I was originally told about two weeks for it to get in as they had to special order it. I called after the two weeks and they said no luck yet. So I'm not so patiently waiting. I sure hope they DO get it in and SOON! :-)
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:12 AM   #14

I had to wait a few weeks for mine. It was definitely worth the waiting, I think it's the best lens buy I've ever made. And I'm a spoilt child in this field, been very lucky to getsome A*-lenses at favourable prices.

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 9:45 AM   #15

TDN, that's was greatly captured. I only noticed a little bit of blurring in the shot that's all. :-)

Seems like PENTAX prime lenses are normallyhigh in quality. No doubt that the 50mm f/1.4 SMC P-FA will be a good quality primelens too.

P.S. I think thatthe auto-focus will come in veryhandy for me,with the shallow dept of field to manage.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 11:05 AM   #16

I have the FA 1.7 and it is very sharp wide open, I also have a M42 50mm 1.4, which is very sharp wide open also. In most tests I have seen the 50mm 1.7 is sharper than the 50mm 1.4, but not by much.

Both lenses are contrasty also, which makes them look sharper than the really are when viewing the images, but they are some of the sharpest lenses around.

I have never used the FA 50mm 1.4, since my 1.7 works so well, I really never had much interest in the lens.

If you want a very sharp, contrasty lens, get the A* 85mm 1.4, which is one of the best lenses made by any manufacturer.

I find the AF to be of little value with such shallow DOF since it most times focuses on something other than what I want it to using the lenses mentioned above wide open.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:08 PM   #17

royce10 wrote:
FYI. I'm currently trying to purchase this lens but cannot find it anywhere. Everyplace has it "back ordered." I even called Pentax customer service and they couldn't give me an estimate on when it will be available again. On ebay these used lens are sometimes going for higher then a "new" price...if you can find one.
Here's a little update on what I've found regarding current availability of this lens.

Onecall has them in stock currently at around $240 + $15 shipping. Not a great price, but it is in stock if you can't wait for a better price. And Onecall is a good dealer.

B&H has been out of stock for weeks (months?) at around $219 plus shipping (and tax in my case as I live in NY). I called them earlier this week, and they believed they'd be getting more in, but didn't know when.

17th Street Photo had them in stock as of a day or so ago at around $209 ($230 currently), but they are now out of stock again. Apparently they expect more in within a couple of weeks.

Beach Camera appeared to be in stock as of this morning, but is now out of stock.

So this is still a darn elusive lens, but again, if you need it asap, Onecall may be the best bet. And of course there is the $50 rebate.
jeffrey r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:37 PM   #18

Considering it has been out of production for 2 years...... what do you expect.... :G

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:44 PM   #19

FA50/1.4 is a little bit soft wide open. It's best at F2.0 and up. The DOF is also paper thin at F1.4. I found very little use of F1.4 because of DOF.

That being said, it is still a very good and sharp lens all around.

FA50mm/1.4, ISO800, 1/15sec, F/2.8, Hand Held (no SR on my DL)

Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:51 PM   #20

Also thought I'd mention this:

Getting the K100D with one of the 50mm lenses will give you loads of shooting fun. Very nice combination.

However, don't pass up on the kit lens. For the little extra price you get a very decent zoom lens, for when you want to go wider than 50mm.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote