Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 12, 2006, 6:47 PM   #1

I'm curious about anyone having any experience with this lens. Does the "soft" feature work well with a digital camera? If you switch to sharp, how sharp is it? Would it make a decent portrait lens on my DL or the upcoming K10? Thanks.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:44 PM   #2

Hi Spiritbro,

I've never used the lens, but my understanding is that it's very soft wide open, and gets progressively sharper as you stop it down. From what I've heard, it works fine with digital for it's intended purpose, a variable soft focus portrait lens. I can't say how sharp it gets, but I wouldn't be expecting tack sharp.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 3:26 PM   #3

85mm is a wonderful lens length for portraits on 35mm SLRs. The 1.5 factor makes it slightly awkward, but still quite fine.

Since it's the outerportion of this lens that supplies the softness, I wonder what happens when you go from the larger diameter FF circle to the smaller "APS" circle? Can anyone speak from experience. (I do know that my F100 2.8 macro is a little "too" sharp for flattering portraits.)

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 5:10 PM   #4

Just my 2 cents: 85 soft was superb on film- but IMHO in digital era we can achieve SELECTIVE soft where we want- and so dumb guys like me prefer bright-and-sharp lenses :-)

Best, JR
Reps is offline   Reply With Quote