Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 20, 2006, 5:27 AM   #21

it would be nice
just for the shake reduction
and iso 100
i will see how the bank balance travels for a while

maybe spend a few months going around the shops
(of course walking out in disgust from the shops that dont stock it)
get one in my hand
see how it feels

definatly thinking hard
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 1:19 PM   #22

From all that I have read the K10D is at the top of my wish list. I don't think noise will be any more of a problem for the Pentax than it is for Nikon or Sonyso it looks acceptable to me. The higher resolution is not much of a selling point but the control interface, the vertical grip option, the penta-prism finder, the SR feature, the dust removaland the weather sealing are all big on my list (my current *istDL with split image focus screen serves me well for now). With my current Minolta lenses I could switch to the Sony A100 tomorrow and lose very little in flexibility however the Pentax looks like a better camera with more of thefeatures I want.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 2:02 PM   #23

I'm not upgrading. I am NOT upgrading. I'm REALLY not upgrading. I keep telling myself that.

On the other hand, I was telling my hubby all aboutthe K10Dthis weekend, and his eyes lit up. He asked if it would make a good Christmas gift. Now I'm not about to tell him to forget it when I haven't even SEEN the camera yet, am I? Here's how it adds up to me:

I already have SR with the K100D and that's really worth it.

I'd be interested in the anti-dust feature (note to self - do something about blowing the dust off the K100D sensor!).

The weather-sealing is definitely the biggest selling point for me - I'd feel better about snowshoeing with a camera that has it (not that the lack of it stopped me from snowshoeing last winter with the DS).

I don't feel a need for the extra MP, though they would come in handy when I'm cropping pictures. I'm neutral on that one.

Batteries don't matter - if I were to get a K10D, I'd sell the DS and keep the K100D (it's nice to have two camera bodies). It doesn't bother me to buy a spare battery, and I'll continue to use my current batteries in the K100D (orthe GPS).

Biggest drawback I see is the weight - I'm going to have to actually hold one to see how much difference that extra weight will be to me.

Second big drawback is the size of the files. I'd have to definitely change to DVR (currently using CDs).

If I didn't already own the K100D, upgrading would probably be pretty high up there. However, since I do I'm not convinced that it's that big of an upgrade for me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 2:20 PM   #24

When the $50 rebate came out on the K1x0D, I *ALMOST* ordered a K100D with the intention of putting my DL on eBay (where it should easily fetch slightly more than I paid for it.) After some hemming and hawing, I decided to hold off for the K10D - I'd really appreciate the shake reduction, and the weather-sealing is attractive as well (although I wonder how well the existing lenses will fare? I'm not particularly interested in buying a series of new lenses.) I'd also like better autofocus (I'm a little disappointed at how the DL hunts for focus in low light with my new 50mm 1.4), I like having more external controls, and I certainly don't MIND 10mp, although the 6mp of the DL is plenty adequite. I like a backlit top LCD, too.

On the other hand, I'm slightly leery of the extra size and weight, and I'm not in love with a proprietary battery, although I can understand why it's necessary.

All this is assuming that it receives the glowing reviews that I'm expecting it to - I hate-hate-hate image noise and if there are issues with noise levels at 1600 then I may just save my money and pick up a K100D instead.

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 2:38 PM   #25

I'm sticking with my DL for now. Just got it last March. I just bought 3 new/old M series lenses for it on Ebay and I asked Mrs Claus for a DA50-200mm for Christmas. That should keep me entertained for awhile. Besides I like to shoot raw and I'm afraid the 10 MP pics might be to much for my 3 year old computer. I read somewhere the raws were 60mp each. (maybe thats a tiff) All things said, the DL takes great pictures and when I get ready to upgrade again think what they will have out. By then it'll be the K50D, 50mp- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 3:56 PM   #26

I'm upgrading from my panasonic fz5 to the k10d, reason ... I hate it when I can't get a picture of anything moving (not fast) in less than bright light conditions.

The k10d has sr, (was a must)
The k10d has lower noise than the Sony(most published pictures show this)
The k10d has water seals
The ... you already know it.

First idea was to upgrade the fz5 to an fz50, but in the fz range in pana's the difference is to small, and the quality due to higher number of pixels is slowly decreasing

Just starting with the kit lens, maybe go for the tamron 18-250 di-II that will apear late december. This should make the k10d the perfect fz50 :-)
(alright no live preview, but I don't use it on the fz5 anyway)

The k10d will be my perfect chrismass present for me... Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 5:04 AM   #27

I'm quite interested in the Pentax K10D; I will wait for it to arrive in Malaysia and then see how...
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 5:00 PM   #28

I'm waiting till I see a couple of tests, see how things are regarding comments in user forums, like this, see some actual pictures.

Looking at the D80, K10D and maybe Canon, but so far the K10D seems to be at the top with dust reduction, shake reduction, sealing and metal frame.

Worried about all the negative comments about the Pentax Optio and hope the K10D doesn't end up a problematic camera like this one. I know the Otio is a point and shooter and only shares the Pentax name and nothing else with the K10D, ut have to admit that the Optio's reputation has given me some pause.

I'm a longtime Pentax 35 SLR user so I'm hoping the quality of the K10D is at a par with the old 35mm Pentax SLs.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 5:05 PM   #29

It's horses for courses - yes, I'd like the best but in reality, my *istDS does all that I really need from a camera at this point in time.

If the time comesthat it needs to be replaced, then maybe the K10D will be high on the list, especially as it now costs less than I paid for my *istDS 18 months ago - well, the body anyway.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 5:53 PM   #30

mtngal wrote:
I'm not upgrading. I am NOT upgrading. I'm REALLY not upgrading. I keep telling myself that.
That's what "my wife" keeps telling me too!

Stev1e is offline   Reply With Quote