Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 24, 2006, 1:40 AM   #1

I've been thinking if I should upgrade my Pentax DS to the K100D or the K10D. I would love the K10D but I don't know if it is really worth it because it is about $400 more then the K100D. Almost twice as much! The thing that I liked about the K10D is the dust remover system and the all weather sealed body. The extra 4MP is nice and the burst speed is nice too but not something that is really important to me. Right now it is still kinda early for the K10D so I am leaning to the K100D right now.

Ok, now should I even brother upgrading from my Pentax DS to the newier model? If I upgrade I will get the addition of the SR body which I really like and a better jpeg processor.

Here is my current setup and I am willing to sell the camera along with some goodies to pay for the K100D.

Pentax DS and everything that it came with (with TWO SETS of CRV-3 battery)
Pentax DA 18-55mm(stock)
Genuine Pentax carring case
Sigma mini wide II Macro 28mm f/2.8 lens (manual)
Sigma 100-300mm f/4.5-5.7 (AutoFocus)
Panasonic battery charger along with 4 AA 2300mah battery(used)
1GB SD card
**maybe Pentax SMC-M 50mm f.1.7**
I am willing to sell all that to fund the Pentax K100D, just the body.
How much do you think I can get for all that? Atleast $550-600?

I just want the Pentax K1000D body because I already have some nice glass to complete it
Sigma 24-70mm EX DG f/2.8
Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 on the way
Sigma 28-200mm Aspherical IF f/3.5-5.6
Tokina RMC II 28mm f/2.8 manual lens

I know if I am going to sell it I better do it quick before the K100D sells out before the rebate expires.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2006, 2:20 AM   #2

If you're satisfied with your DS, I think there is no need to upgrade now.

Otherwise, you should see if the difference and improvement by the K100D or the K10D can satisfy your current need, or not. If not, wait for the next model. If yes, go ahead and get the K!

To know about how the *ist DS and the K100D would differ, see my old K100D full review (with measurbations) for all the details:-

Hope this helps.

RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 6:45 AM   #3

Anyone else?
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 7:04 AM   #4

No, just get out there and take some photo's.

Save your money and wait until the K10D has been on the shelves a few months and C & N have responded with cheaper versions - The price will be bound to drop.

Stev1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 9:33 AM   #5

I think the answer to your question is "maybe."

I have both the DS and the K100D and originally bought the K100 with the intention of selling the DS. However, after shooting with both cameras for a couple of days I decided to keep the DS and use it as a second body with the kit lens or a wide angle lens on it, then use the K100 as my main camera and it usually has the either the A300 or the DA 50-200 on it.

This is just my opinion based on having both cameras. I LOVE having the SR - that is the biggest benefit to the camera. It was well worth the purchase price to me, because I knew I couldn't handle a 300mm lens otherwise.

While others notice a difference between the jpg quality of the two cameras, I don't particularly notice it. To a certain extent it depends on your topic - I thought the K100 does a better job with certain colors (like reds) than the DS does, but about the only things I consistently photograph that are red are flowers, and it doesn't seem to make that much difference with blues and greens. Besides, I almost always shoot raw, and I can't tell the differences between the two cameras - if you'll look at my recent pictures of Pismo Beach, one out of the series I posted was taken with the DS and the kit lens - other than the fact it was taken with a different lens, I don't see any difference between it and the K100.

I don't do continuous shooting, so buffer size isn't an issue to me, and that's one thing I haven't compared.

Many of the pictures I've seen on dpreview show a difference between pictures taken with the K100 and the K10 - the K10 seems to be sharper and one set of pictures showed that it can capture a little more detail when both cameras are used to take the same picture. Was that a little extra dynamic range (the picture was fairly dark) or the extra pixels or better in-camera processing, I don't know. But it's got me thinking about taking up my husband's offer to buy me one for Christmas.

So if I were in your position and wasn't in a rush, I'd wait for the price to drop on the K10 and buy it (like after Christmas).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 11:46 AM   #6

Unless you really need the AntiShake, AntiDust, the weatherSealing or be able to put a grip on the camera. If you don't need these things then I would wait about 6 months to think about changing Bodies..:G

The only reason I bought a different system was I have changed from a (forgive the mention of the name) Canon. To an istD and lenses.

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote