Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:51 AM   #1

Deals I can get for the K100D on my tight budget ---

Pentax K100D Digital SLR Camera - w/Sigma 18-50mm DC Lens $Au 882.75
Pentax SMC P-FAJ 75-300mm f/4.5-5.8 AL Lens $Au 309.93
Total $Au 1187

Pentax K100D Digital SLR Camera
w/SIGMA AF 24-70mmHF + 70-300mmDL MACRO SUPER TWIN LENS KIT Total $Au 999

Pentax K100D is $Au 779 body only
Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro $Au 449

Total $Au 1228

Is the Pentax 300mm better than the Sigma ?
I know the APO Sigma is better, but how much ?
Is their a magnifier for the K100D's viewfinder as I can't see the details in it very well.
Is it possible to take time lapse shots ?

Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2006, 1:26 AM   #2

My two cents...

Of the lenses that you listed, I only have hands on experience with the sigma 70-300 apo dg. I do not know exactly how much difference the apo coating makes, but from the professional reviews that I have read, the apo version helps control chromatic aberration to a greater degree.

A couple of thoughts on your situation:

You mentioned that your main interest/intent is birding photography. If that is the only type of photography that you are interested in and you are on a budget, then maxing our your dollars with the body only and sigma 70-300 apo dg would be a good choice. However, keep in mind that you will not have wide angle capability. This lens will also be a poor choice for indoor photography. If you plan on using this camera for more than telephoto shots, then you will need a second lens.

The pentax 75-300 does not have macro ability while the sigma 70-300 does.

I have a very basic lens set up. I originally started with the pentax smc-da 18-55 kit lens, which is actually a very good lens. I then figured the areas of photography where I wanted more. I went on to buy a pentax smc-f 50mm 1.7 for indoor photography/portraits and the sigma 70-300mm apo dg for general outdoor photography telephoto/macro. These days I mainly use my 50mm and 70-300. I keep the 18-55 for wide angle.

For now my LBA is satiated and I am concentrating my efforts to learn more photography skills inorder to better utillize the equipment I have.

I wouldn't rush into buying too many lens right off the bat even if you can get them as part of a discounted kit. Buy one first and learn the camera/lens system first.

I love my sigma 70-300 apo dg. Never regretted getting it.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:17 PM   #3

Hi Rodney,

I had the 70-300 Super Macro II on My Canon 300D. Theonly thing you have to watch is High Contrast areas. I also had the Sigma 28-70 2.8-4 and it was a very good lens.

Myself, I would get the Kit Lens (18-55mm) and the 70-300 Sigma APO with the Red Ring on the lens. It is an older model, But performs great. It will save you some money touse for other lenses when you decide what else you would like to shoot.

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 9:05 PM   #4

I don't know if my inputwill be much help, but here it is. I have older versions of both of those lenses. The ones I have are the Sigma 70-300 APO Super and the Tamron 70-300 LD Tele-macro. On the examples I have, only the Sigma goes to 1:2 macro, the Tamron is 1:3.8; I understand that both of the lenses you are looking at do 1:2.

That said, the Sigma example I have does a much better job than the Tamron. Both get softer beyond 200mm but this problem is more pronounced in the Tamron. The Sigma also does a better job reproducing color. Based on my experience, if I was buying a new 70-300 zoom I would get the Sigma APO version.

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote