Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:52 PM   #1

is it really necessary?

lgbalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2006, 11:36 PM   #2

It's an individual thing. If you shoot portrait mode a lot then it helps because you can hold the camera naturally, rather than one hand over the other. A friend of mine who has a big, professional (and heavy) Nikon let me handle it a bit. I couldn't stabilize it without using the bottom grip - it was too heavy for me to hold it steady (he also had a 70-300 lens on it). I don't think the K10D is going to be that heavy, so it might not be as importantfor me to keep it stabilized.

One of the disadvantages to the gripis that I'm used to putting my left hand under the camera and using it to focus and handle the aperture ring (the majority of my lenses are manual focus or completely manual). My hands are small so it might be harder for me to reach the lens controls (I haven't tried it yet). If your hands are fairly big this would become a non-issue.

So I'm going to want to handle the camera first to see if I'll want one. It would be nice to have the extra batteryalready thereand another place to put the spare card. My first inclination is that it would be worth it, if the ergonomics will work for me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:28 AM   #3

I would love one for my DL, but there are none available except for the ist D & K10D

It has an extra shutter, so you can hold the camera in the portrait position, also has the extra battery, which is nice.

But for me the reason would be that I just like holding a "chunky" camera. Not that my DL doesn't feel good in my hands, but my pinky always ends up under the camera, which is a little less comfortable to hold than a larger grip.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 8:05 AM   #4

If you use long primes or bigger zoom lenses it help to balance the camera. Plus it give you an extra set of batteries for longer shooting times. Also an extra set of controls for vertical shots.

I want one for my istD.

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 9:17 AM   #5

I had my *ist D for about 6 month before I bought a used Battery grip for it on eBay. I thought it was the best thing I ever did. The battery grip made the camera so much more comfortable to hold (I have large hands) and the portrait shutter was a blessing, since I shoot a lot in that mode.

One of the first things I will buy once I have the K10Dwill be that battery grip.
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote