Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

View Poll Results: Do You use Mac or Windows
Windows 20 90.91%
Mac 2 9.09%
Both 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:32 AM   #1

What is your favorite photo program ?
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2006, 5:11 AM   #2

My favorites are:

JPEG -Photoshop Elements 5
RAW- Raw Shooter Premium 2006. Wont Be able to Use this if i get the K10D. So then i would Switch To Silkypix

I alo have and Use on Occasion: Photoshop CS 2 and Paint Shop Pro X
For noise reduction: Neat Image, Just Got Noise Ninja have not tried it yet

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 5:15 AM   #3

• Adobe Photoshop CS2, + Noise Ninja[/*]
  • hdr - CS2 to create hdr, Photomatix to do the tone mapping[/*]
  • IMatch image management from Photools.com
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 5:23 AM   #4

Pentax Photolab v2 for RAW conversion - it produced reasonable JPEGs for post-processing but won't handle large numbers of files without crashing.

ACDSee v5 (not the latter versions) for viewing thumbnails and creating Contact Sheets.

Photoshop CS2 for post processing images,ACR for converting awkward RAW files.

Panorama Factory for stiching together images to create panoramic views.

Paint Shop Pro V7 (not the latest) for screen capture and converting to GIF.

DCE Enhance for batch resizing images for use on my web site - the Lanzcos filter make a brilliant job of retaing detail.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 6:42 AM   #5

On my Mac:

Image Capture: Uploading files onto my hard drive
Adobe Lightroom: Working with RAW files and organizing my files
Adobe Photoshop 7: General edits after conversion to .tif
balofagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 6:45 AM   #6

Irfanview, of course... The program is like a DSLR. Take a little time to learn how it works and you'll be amazed at what it can do, and most people will never do more than scratch the surface of what can be done with it.

I do almost everything with it, including running Photoshop noise filters on the pictures from my old PnS. (Much, much faster than using Photoshop itself.) The only time I need anything more is for serious photo editing like cloning out objects, etc.

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 8:14 AM   #7

Really like Lightroom - I'll buy it when it comes out. I use CS2 mostly. First learned Photoshop 3 from the tutorial that came with it and have upgraded several times since. Its familiar and can do most of what I want, though I'm not crazy about ACR - liked the raw converter in Lightroom better. I use Neat Image, have no idea how it compares to Noise Ninja because I tried Neat Image first and stuck with it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 8:28 AM   #8

I use Dfine and NoiseNinja for noise control, CS2 for my photo editing with ACR for DNG files, and Pentax Photo Lab for PEF files, although I don't really like the PPL program, but at this point what can you do if you shoot PEF. I use CS2 and Genuine Fractals for changing image sizes, with GF exclusively for up sizing and CS2 to size for web posting.

I am planning on using Apples Aperture instead of Lightroom, but they have to support my K10D first, although they have added the D, DL and DS recently, so I expect that is in the works. A friend uses it with his D200 and it is a great program and it makes your productivity much more efficient.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:06 AM   #9

For quick non-destructive edits: Picasa
It is very convenient to order prints, publish to a web album and make a gift CD when you need to. Has a cool feature where you can make a movie too. I wish its file and folder manipulation was a bit better (allow moving, deleting, renaming etc). Perhaps it is me

For more serious edits I use CS2. GOt a lot to learn still though

For Noise Reduction: Noise Ninja

For viewing at the moment I prefer FSViewer (wwwfaststone.org) over Ifranview. Has a nice feature of adding text and a watermark to your pictures. Got a very capable batch processing feature too.

EXIF Editing: I use Exifeditor from kiwi.software.net. Also used photomerge to merge text into pictures (not too impressed with it...still figuring it out).

fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:20 AM   #10

Irfanview, I've been a fan of it for years and it just does things right for me and does all the things I want itto do. I used PSP for years and found my pictures just looked better in Irfanview, so I use it as my main program now. After all, that is what it is all about. If I need to create a logo or something I use PSP- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote