Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 24, 2006, 7:38 PM   #1
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Was unable to take the DL toChristmas Servicesearlier this evening, but I had my Optio 555 tucked in my pocket and captured this image at St. Mary's Cathedral Bascilica in Covington , KY. The organ sounded as good as it looks! Camera was "hand-held" as was was my breath) at 1/10th of a second.

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2006, 7:57 PM   #2

Very nice! That's one advantage of small digicams...they're nearly silent. I took mine (a Kodak Easyshare) to a concert recently for that reason.

Looks like a terrific organ, too...I didn't get to take photos at our Christmas service today, because I was playing music for worship (on bass guitar, though, not a great organ like that!).

Christmas, too, is a good time to remember there are much more important things in life than, say, JPG quality or high ISO noise levels. :-)

God bless, and a Merry Christmas to you!

dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 11:25 PM   #3

dan-mx-ds2 wrote:

Christmas, too, is a good time to remember there are much more important things in life than, say, JPG quality or high ISO noise levels. :-)
LOL! Your right, there are more important things than jpg quality andhigh ISO noise levels. There'sdynamic range and picture detail.I just came from an exhibit of black and white photos that showed an incredible amount of detail and dynamic range. Pictures taken in the 1950s and 60s mostly, by a true master of photography. I'd love to get that kind of detail out of the shadows of a digital camera some day(sigh), or even manage to capture the play of light and dark I saw on those older photographs.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2006, 1:19 PM   #4

Great image, conveys the immensity of the church.

Dan and Harriet,

I also use a very old (by digital standards) Pentax Optio 33L as a snapshot camera, it gets great results for those "personal" pictures. Sometimes we tend to ignore the fact that, for most of us, it is our snapshots that will find their way into albums that will give us the most joy in later years.

My other camera is a Fuji S7000 which is totally awesome in 6MP black and white mode, I save my DSLRs for "serious" photo outings, the occasional paying gig and places where I need the wide angle coverage (my other cameras only cover about 35mm equivalent of 35mm).

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 7:25 AM   #5

Thanks for sharing that shot. Enough for me to search for and visit St. MB.

Interesting history and detail on their site but nothing about what stone was used - looks like limestone to me. Any idea if they used a local quarry or otherwise, where it came from.

Thanks for posting.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote