Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 2, 2007, 3:39 AM   #11

For all info on media quality see-

Always back up to three places-
1. cd/dvd disc
2. external hard drive
3. off site

if your house burns down ( God Forbid ) all those cd/dvd/external HD backups stacked next to your computer will all be gone.
so give copies to your friends, neighbours or store in your office or even bury them safely in the backyard.

Taiyo Yuden gets most of the first votes and Verbatim is the second .
Some Ritek's are ok but many are seconds.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 4:12 AM   #12

mtngal wrote:
So I figured I'd switch to DVD and that's what has me totally confused. I went to the store and discovered that it isn't as easy as just picking up a stack of CDs - my DVD recorder is on my laptop and says its a DVD+ writer. After wandering around the internet a bit, it seems like I can use DVD+R. I probably can't use DVD-R, though I never actually found anything from HP that says that (thought this would be such a simple question - NOT!).

So my question is, should I get the DVD+R, which means that I'll forever have to have a burner that takes that media? Not comfortable with having two formats because I remember the days of betamax vs. VHS (I guessed right that time, I bought VHS). Or would I be better off just collecting tons of CD-Rs? They aren't very expensive and its more a matter of storage than anything else that has gotten me to consider DVDs.
The media defined by the burner, whether it's -R, +R or +/-R, is the format supported by the burner in BURN mode. Once the media has been burnt & finalised, it should be readable on any DVD Player or DVD Recorder.

Obviously, if you have a DVD+R recorder then that's the +R is themedia that must be used.

The problem with using CDROMs is that at 700M you'll find yourself using far more with the inherent problem of where & how do you you store them and retrive the file that may want some time later. For that reason, when I started using the RAW format. I switched from CDROM to DVD.

All recordable media will fail at some stage. I work on the basis that after several years, I've moved on & in truth hardly ever access archived data much after a year or so, so if it failes it's not going to be that much of a problem.

vIZnquest wrote:
This is one drawback about digital photography.
Film also has a 'shelf life' (typically 25 years) so the problem isn't restricted to digital.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:09 AM   #13

Thanks for all the information (and hi, Crash!) - I love this board!

I feel much better, since the + or - refers to the burner, not the player. I'll just get DVD+R for the time being and not worry about it. I'm not too concerned about having my pictures outlive me - we don't have kids and I seriously doubt my nieces will care about hundreds of flower pictures taken in the Botanical Gardens. They give me great pleasure, but that's about it. I have lots of CDs with pictures from my F717 that are still fine.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:10 AM   #14

Short and simple.

If you have a DVD+R, you can only burn DVD+R media.
If you have a DVD-R, you can only burn DVD-R media.

But once burnt, they should be able to be read by any DVD player.

The newer drive are mostly DVD+/-RW and can write both formats.

macshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:56 AM   #15

I used to work in the replication biz a decade or so ago, so my knowledge stops at CD, but as with DVD, media quality makes all the difference. Also, at least with CDR's, it has been prooven that CDR discs are far more likely to fail over time than CDRW due to the way the data is written.

Peronally, I'm with most people here in having the data in multipule locations. I have a large harddrive on my PC, so I keep everything in my "My Documents/My Pictures" folder. I run a weekly backup of my "My Documents" folder to a second networked computer (which is really just my previous very slow computer with a very large hard drive added to it), and I burn DVD's of my photos about every 4GB or so, and they get storred elsewhere. That way I have the pics in 3 locations. One of them is bound to work!
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:31 AM   #16

Also, at least with CDR's, it has been prooven that CDR discs are far more likely to fail over time than CDRW due to the way the data is written.
Might you have gotten that backwards?

If you use mastering software the data is written the same way except to less stable media. The data format and surface coding is the same.

If you use packet writing to RW you introduce a lot more ways you can lose data.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:41 AM   #17

Harriet - Here is a link I was given a while back. Go to the DVD section. I have been thinking about the Sony for my main computer and they have the disks pretty cheap also. I believe the Sony willwriteeither+ or - DVD's. Anyway, I'm like everyone else, way to many pictures on CD and with raws, yikes. I also want to make someslideshows on DVD that will play on a normal DVD player andTV.Photo CD's just don't give enough resolution to look good on a TV. Good luck- Bruce

bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:18 PM   #18

concerning the lifetime of dvd's they are as any digital medium limited, but dvd's are better than the cd's, where a cd consist of a metalic layer that is placed on top of the plastic disk, dvd have the metalic layer placed between two plastic disks. So dvd's are less prone to scratches or losing their metalic layer by peelin off.

i never use rewritable media because I only have got problems with them.

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 2:44 PM   #19

Just a thought, by the time your DVD+/-R or CD-R discs fail, are you sure you can even find a computer to load them? For example, try to read a 5" floppy disc on your computer today (which is quite popular format back in the 80s)
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 4:01 PM   #20

I think it would be our responsibility to 'convert' our DVD/CD's to whatever format is the standard at any given time. Even if that means losing resolution or picture quality... that's better than having useless DVD's sitting around with no means to view them. :?

TN Mary is offline   Reply With Quote