Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 6, 2007, 9:07 PM   #1

My budget is pretty limited for now, (Around 1200us)...

So I am going for the k10D body and Tamron A061 AF28-300MM XR Di Telephoto/Macro Lens which is costing around 1250-1300us

My later choices (after replenishing cash)are

FA 1.4 50mm

FA 200 /2.8 with an tamron 2x converter

A good flash

Suggestions are welcome ........Actually much needed
Chesslanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2007, 9:58 PM   #2

I would rather get the FA* 300 4.5 and a 1.4x TC, since I find the 200mm lens to be just a tad short most of the time, and a 2x TC to not be up to my standards when it comes to sharpness.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:00 PM   #3

Thanks ennacac :idea:

Oh...I forgot to tell that I am a birding/nature fan...hence the long lens
Chesslanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:44 PM   #4

Hi Chess,

I'll go along with Tom on the FA*300/4.5 plus a good TC. Sharp wide open, and easy enough to handhold, even with the TC. This is my favorite lens, combined with the Pentax F 1.7x AFA for 510mm f7.7 -- and I still want more reach a lot of the time. Most of the faster longer primes start getting pretty big and heavy (not to mention the prices). Hopefully the new DFA 300mm prime that Pentax has placed in the roadmap will be as good, and still be affordable.

A good 200mm is great for zoo shots, but I've found birds and wild animals less accomodating, so the extra reach is desireable. Your zoom should work pretty well for the shorter focal lengths, but I think you'll really want a lens that's a bit faster and very good wide open for use with a TC.

As far as a flash goes, I'd get either the Sigma EF 500 DG Super or the Pentax AF 540 FGZ for the power and the ease of use of P-TTL at longer ranges -- flash is proving to be very useful for fill in light when shooting birds. If you need more range there's a flash extender called the Better Beamer that will allow you to use the flash at greater distances.

Have fun learning the K10 as you refine the LBA that is inevitable. Looking forward to seeing some shots when you're ready.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote