Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 9, 2007, 2:23 PM   #11

Great shots, Don! I am impressed with both your composition, and the performance of the camera at the higher ISO levels. Pretty good for that level. Your ev compensation was spot on, also. Thanks

nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 4:26 PM   #12

Very impressive shots. That lens is certainly one to put onto the wishlist!!

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 5:57 PM   #13

All very outstanding!

My experiences parallel yours - exposure is very important with higher ISO. The last day I was out playing with the camera (last week) I used raw+jpg and was using a manual lens. I had trouble with exposure, several of them were seriously over-exposed. What amazed me was how much I could recover from the raw picture - I'm going to be far lesslikely to underexposeto avoid blown out highlights.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 9:57 PM   #14

Thanks Ian, Mark, Darren and mtngal. It is really critical to get the exposure correct or as close as possible when taking high ISO shots. Overexposing a little in RAW is ok, as you can save around a full stop. Not so in jpg unfortunately-those blown highlights will likely be gone. But if you get the exposure correct or very close in jpg, the images are relatively free of noise and the detail is pretty good. Another way of looking at it, is when you overexpose in RAW at say 1100, and then back off the exposure in processing, what you're really doing I guess, is turning the ISO 1100 photo into maybe an ISO 800 shot, depending on how much you decrease the exposure........Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:39 PM   #15

Excellent shots Don! The detail and color looked perfect ! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote