Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:38 PM   #11

bisquit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:45 PM   #12

bisquit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:11 PM   #13

nznhut wrote:

I have used both shooting 3 different exposures in RAW, combining, converting, etc, and also 3 in JPEG. The images are sometimes very good, sometimes artificial to the point of being posterized or cartoonish.

However, I am now using a technique which I like as good, if not better, than the RAW method above, or the 3 bracketed JPEG. It is used with the Photomatix software, so I can't say how it works, or if it works, with others.

Take a normal exposed RAW file, and open it in Photomatix with File > open. It automatically makes it an HDR image.Then tone map it with either the detail enhancer, or tone compressor settings. I have found with the tone compressor settings, you get pretty good results if you put it on maximum brightness. The detail extractor tends to give the HDR effect, without some of the extremes you often see. I am posting this at work, so I will post several examples later.
Here is a gallery of shots done with the technique I describe above, taken at Arches National Park in Southern Utah:

nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:59 PM   #14

This is my first try at it. I purposely shot a picture with some snow and some shadow to see what I could do. I shot 3 pictures in jpeg usingthe camera'sauto bracketing and set it to bracket at +/- 2. I did use a tripod. The first picture is the normal jpeg right out of the camera, no adjusting, but slightly sharpened after cropping. The second with the water mark is the composite of the 3 images and tone mapped using Lock06 tone mapping (one of the options in Artizen). Theirare quite a few different tone maps you can play with, I just started with that one. I'm sure they all have their use.

Anyway, I was quite impressed at how I could bring the fence and limbs out of the shadows and although this is nothing great, it's a beginning and I think the program and HDR have potential. I want to try it on a sunny day with some clouds, blue sky and snow. Why not go for broke. I can think of many times when I have taken pictures in the mountain with dark trees and washed out skies. I don't think you want to tone map every picture, but it has it's uses, especially with landscapes. I don't think you could use it with anything with moving objects, except maybe water falls- Bruce

bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 3:43 AM   #15

Two more comments from my side to add to that discussion.

#1 DRI vs. HDR
DRI=dynamic range increase
HDR=high dynamic range

Just in case you stumble about that "DRI" - it means a normal LDR image which had it's visible (with your eyes) dynamic range increased using some postprocessing technique. You can use layers and layer masks in PS to do that for example. Or assemble a HDR image and tonemap it.

I think the right tonemapping is very important if you go for an "enhanced photo" rather than "digital art". Most tonemapped HDR's look like modern art of some kind when you just use the pre-defined tonemaps.

#2 working with just 1 source pic
This is something I am experimenting with for some time now. The idea behind this is to get more information on a printed picture than what a 1:1 print from your camera would give.

You know the effect. You took a nice photo and finally settled on a certain exposure or just snapped away. When you look at the picture in your photo retouche program you are able to bring out more details in certain areas (darken/brighten image for example as a simple approach)

In some cases you can combine 2 or more of such postprocessed images in a way, that gives better results than using a highlight/shadow filter - and uses the "combine" idea from DRI/HDR.

This works for moving objects also. It tends to produce some noise which I feel is a drawback... but if not overdone it can work quite well.

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 4:39 AM   #16

bper wrote:
This is my first try at it. I purposely shot a picture with some snow and some shadow to see what I could do.
I tried Artizen & haven't been too impressed - I've taken yourfirst shot and post processed in PS using Shadows/Highlights to bring out the detail.

And Processed in Photomatrix:

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:12 AM   #17

Ian Mc wrote:
Although I am not a great fan of editing I am impressed with good quality HDR shots as in those from the Edinburgh Photographic Society:

I don't have CS2 and my version of PSP (Coded Color) doesn't cover this.

Any suggestions for an El cheepo HDR programme please with a free trial?

Cheers:Ian Mc

I find that you must be very careful with the HDR methods or the results have a decidedly unnatural look to them, fine from an artistic standpoint, but not necessarily desirable as a record of events. Hogrider has produced some of the best HDRexamples on this forum.

I have not had an opportunity to read everything here but I do have a couple of links from my blog post here http://aicphotography.blogspot.com/2...-new-year.html

Hope they are helpful.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 5:06 PM   #18

I took this shot on vacation with my K10D using the bracketing function of three shots, each with a different exposure, one way under one right on and one way over exposed. I then put all three shots together with a HDR program, but not using the HDR function to get a shot I could not have taken with one exposure. The glare on the water alone was impossible, not to mention the dark shadows on the back side of the bridge.

I had to use the HDR program because I didn't have a tripod with me and the program stitched the 3 hand held shots together into one, since they were slightly off. It worked fairly well except for the moving cars on the bridge.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote