Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:58 PM   #11

Violette wrote:
My problem is my husband doesn't trust ebay's items on electronic, he would said he rather pay little higher to get new items instead of used (he paid $192 for a new Signa 70-300mm apo dg marco lens instead bidding onebay for used $150!, Hey Royce, I finally ordered your signa lens, and it's on the way to my place soon).
I agree with everyone else on the 50mm lens. If you can find the FA50mm f/1.4 new, you can get the rebate on it. However, you can buy used lenses from KEH.com, B&H Photo, and Adorama. All three of these places have good reputations. I've bought a couple of used lenses from KEH and can recommend them specifically. In dealing with a company for used lenses, you can get a return period in case something is wrong.

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:42 AM   #12

You don't mention if you got the body only or the KIT....

But the kit 18-55mm is a rather versatile indoor lens....and with The IS often fast enough.

If you didn't get the kit, they are a bit pricey after.... but probably many selling them of on EBAY relatively unused for those with specific wants. (And often the Kit camera a better deal than body only... if you can sell it off for more than the difference... again often the case... and we are talking like $50.)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:08 AM   #13

Another lens you might want to look at for indoor gyms, and have extra cash lying around, is the FA 77mm 1.8 Limited lens. It's a bit longer than the 50mm lenses and quite fast. It's one of Pentax's top of the line lenses and will cost accordingly. I'd love to have one but don't have enough of a need for something like this to justify the cost.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:33 AM   #14

Thank you all for your inputs, now I have an idea what to look for for an indoor lens, I have 3 and half months to hunt for a goodlens before my baby arrive.

Hayward: I got a KIT which have camera body and 18-55mm lens included.

awjweb: please if you can so I can study the pics.

Have a good day all.

Violette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:34 PM   #15

Hi Violette,

I am thinking about this lens for indoor events: http://www.sigma-photo.com/lenses/le...mp;navigator=2

It is not the longest reach nor is it the TOP of the line, but it should do the trick for what you want to do. It is to bad that Sigma did not make the 70-200mm f2.8 in a Pentax mount.

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 2:13 PM   #16

ck this thread for a real time use of an M50f1.4.. all of these were shot inside a restaurant with dim lighting at f1.4..

Old Jan 26, 2007, 1:14 AM   #17

Violette wrote:
I check and most of stores are out of stock. I will keep looking.
As it happens, I have an extra smc Pentax-M 50mm F1.4 that I would be happy to sell. A few days ago, KEH accidentally sent me two, and I either have to resell one (same price I paid: $115) or send it back to them in the next couple of days. Lens was listed in excellent ("EX") condition by KEH and so it is. I need to get it back for my refund, but I probably won't get it sent back tomorrow as I expect a busy day. If you're interested, contact me off list: polytrope (at) gmail (dot) com.

NOTE: This is the classic manual focus F1.4, not an auto-focus lens.

P.S. This is a date-sensitive post. Today is 1-26-07 and I will be returning this lens to KEH by Monday 1-29-07 if not before.
Polytrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 1:28 PM   #18

Hi Will,

Thanks for your offer. I think I will go with auto-focus for now.

Thanks again.

Violette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 1:21 PM   #19

Here is a web site that might help in choosing a lens. The site explains itself.

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 9:12 PM   #20

I have both the FA 50mm f1.4 and the 77mm 1.8 limited. I haven't got to shoot much with the 50mm as I just got it last week but so far im very happy with it.Bought brand new off Ebay for about 250 US. Payed with Paypal and recieved it in three days no problems.If you're on a fixed budget then I don't think you could do any better than the 50. But if you've got the cash the 77mm limited is a WONDERFUL piece of glass. For general use go with the 50. And don't discount the kit lens. Its not fast enough for low light, but with some good light on sunny days you might get some decent shots with it too. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote