Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 1, 2007, 4:51 PM   #1

Does someone know if you can set the camera B&W features in advance before taking the pics?
I mean setting contrast, filters and the rest so that the camera shoots only in B&W mode.

This doesn`t seem very clear to me , when i read the reviews i understand that you always shoot in colour and that converting to B&W happens after in the retouch settings.

Can someone also confirm that shooting in jpeg does deliver pretty soft results and that using the raw format gives a perfect clean sharper picture ?
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:56 PM   #2

I haven't tried to use the b&w filter, but from what I remember you do the conversion after you take the picture and the camera saves the file with a different name. Since I haven't tried it, I'm not absolutely sure of that. I have CS2 and have been playing with using channel mixer for b&w conversions. That's been lots of fun because depending which channel you use (or how you mix them) you can get very different results.

My two cents on the raw vs. jpg. I don't think that the jpg is all that soft, especially if you use the bright mode (I oftenuse it). Not sure I would say that the raw is perfect - there is more information there to use for whatever you want to do (including sharpening yourself). Either the K10 is more sensitive to lens softness or else my DA 50-200 has a minor problem or else isn't quite as good as some other people's version of this lens. I shoot rawmostly - I'm going to mess with them anyway, and its amazing what you can bring out of a raw file, where the jpg would be hopeless.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:16 AM   #3

'can't remember where, but I do remember reading a post where the author mentioned as to how much he liked shooting in B/W mode on the K10. I have not been able to find such a setting, on my unit, and am beginning to think that it just isn't there. But (if you don't already know this) when you select that B/W conversion filter (or any filter, for that matter) you can just cursor - right or left - to view all of your photos with currently selected filter. The more that I think about it, I wonder if this is what that poster was referring to - and that he had just worded it wrong.

NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote