Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:57 PM   #11

As an OSX user, who needs Vista?

Ok, at the risk of turning this into a Mac propaganda flame forum, I'll get back on topic. I have run the Vista betas and release candidates immediately prior to the actual retail version, and while the added graphics is a nice touch, the compatibility problems I've experienced so far make it a tough sell. Ironically, both my Macs work great with Vista in terms of hardware support. But even with my zipping system, I do notice the system does work a bit harder to perform even basic functions. Vista is definitely going to burn bridges with older hardware; that's the price of progress, and happens with every other platform (like Macs).

Until Vista has proven it is really more secure against viruses and spyware - something that is only proven with some time in the wild - I'll keep XP (along with OSX) on my Macs. I'm not the only one though; even our university's residence computing network is telling people not to upgrade to Vista due to the major compatibility problems with their software.
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:00 AM   #12

Not I.. 10.4.8 and very happy....
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:53 AM   #13

I'm an MSDN subscriber, and have a free copy of Vista sitting right here - I don't plan on upgrading for quite a while. We have been using it in our lab for over a year and nobody is terribly impressed so far.

I'm always surprised that with Microsoft's extensive track record of releasing products that need a bunch of patches right out of the gate, things broken, barely working, etc... that so many people line up to upgrade.. you'd think people would get the hint by now

I'll be waiting
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 4:59 AM   #14

sgarthee wrote:
If you are not a very computer literate person, I would strongly suggest you avoid it until at least the first service pack is released. By then most of the big issues will at least be known if not addressed.
I would say that I'm fairly OK with my knowledge of PC hardware/software - not an expert you understand, but some one that can find their way around and resolve pretty much anything that crops up.

I posted this thread as a means to provide information to perspective Vista upgraders with some visibility to what will & what won't work.

Check out this link for a comprehensive list of software compatibility: http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.ph...atibility_List
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 5:21 AM   #15

mongrelchild wrote:
There are hacked drivers for the SBlive, but forget about any and all effects and/or EAX support
This links to the drivers referred to above for those that might want to 'risk' it: http://thevistaforums.com/lofiversio...php/t3625.html

It's full of warnings when you install it & after reboot, even though sound now works, it states that it's not been installed. Not a good installation but it does give you sound.

IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 7:19 AM   #16

So far noproblems as until like since Windows 3.1, I am never going to see a new OS (and bugged out for a while) until time to get a new PC.

With the rate hardware improves, I have just never seen the need to upgrade OVERPRICED, OVER BLOATED OS's

And that like XP, likely to run it well you probably need new hardware anyways... if you PCis more than a year or so old.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:15 AM   #17

I upgraded my wife's laptop (an old 300mhz PII Mobile) a few days ago.

It really needed the upgrade for various reasons. So, I made sure it has the new Firefox 2.0, Flash Player 9, Adobe Acrobat Reader 7, and commonly used browser plugins installed, as well as as a newer version of Open Office so that she can share MS Office files with her work.

She really loves the upgrade. Of course, I didn't upgrade this old PII Mobile based laptop to Vista. lol

I installed the latest SimplyMEPIS 6.04 Beta 4 (a free operating system) on it, and it does everything she needs an operating system to do. She was running an older version of it before. But, the new beta is so darn stable (I've been running it on my desktop for a while now) I decided to upgrade her to it.

If you guys have never tried Linux, you may want to give it a go. I've got my PC setup in a dual boot configuration so that I can boot into either Windows XP Pro or SimplyMEPIS 6.0-4 (and I've got more than one Linux distro on the same drive, too). I rarely use XP anymore.

You can even try it from a Live CD to see if everything works with your hardware before installing it (although it will be slow running from CD).

A free product for Windows that can burn the .iso file you need to burn to a CD is DeepBurner. You'll see the download link to the free version of DeepBurner on this page (second download button):

More info on 6.0-4 (still in beta) is here:

You'll find download mirrors here:

It's software package repositories have around 18,000 (free) packages available for download right now, including many graphics and multimedia tools (not to mention just about any other kind of software you're likely to need).

So, installing new software that's not installed by default is a matter of a mouse click in a built in tool for getting new stuff. For example, installing Cinepaint (an image editor that is not in the default install) is just a matter of using it's Package Manager, searching for Cinepaint in the available software list to mark it for installation. When you click apply, it automatically downloads and installs the software you want to install.

I've got a number of free image editing packages installed in SimplyMEPIS on my PC now (digiKam, Gimp, Cinepaint, Krita, UFRaw, Lightzone for Linux, and more).

Installation is very easy (and you can resize your Windows NTFS partition to make room for partitions to use with Linux. It's a simple process (and it also installs a boot manager for selecting Windows XP or SimplyMEPIS during bootup).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 7:15 PM   #18

call me paranoid

but i worry how much more control of your computer microsoft gets with vista

i only just got xp sp2 so i wont be changing in a hurry

when i get a new computer i guess i will have no choice unle ss i can go the Linux route
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 3:55 PM   #19

At work we already have some experiences testing out Vista. One caveat,

Windows Xp normally complains about any piece of software that is not by Microsoft, but what the heck it always works... With VISTA its not so, and removing software that malfunctions has already lead to a lot of systems to be installed from scratch.
(ex. Nero7 + Vista = Reïnstall)

For my own pc's i'm going to wait at least one month before I upgrade, and then First at work (same type of pc as at home, my boss can pay for the time I loose with this :evil

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:12 PM   #20

I only just upgraded from Windows ME to XP service Pack 2, only because newer software and hardare would not work under ME.

My local University book shop was selling cheap XP academic versions, probably clearing stock before the Vista launch.

With a large installed user base it will b esome time before software and hardware demands Vista or later operating systems so I plan to stay with XP unitil once again I am forced to change. By then I hope that Micrsosoft will have found all the bugs and weaknesses and issued the approriate service packs.

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote