Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:45 PM   #1

Was wondering if any of you guys/gals have used or own either of these lenses? Sigma24-70mm 2.8, 28-70mm 2.8, and Tamron 28-75. Wondering your likes and dislikes. How do you like IQ, etc etc...

I want to use this lens for a all around lens(walk-around/vacation/ and som concert shots).

Any info would be helpful, Thanks in Advance

Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2007, 1:50 PM   #2

Hi Flaco,

I've got a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di yadda yadda yadda (too many other designations for me to remember). I bought it with my DS kit @ 2 years ago, and have no regrets. I use it for candids (mostly with an external flash) and relatively close in portraits (full body to head shots) mostly, but have also used it as a walkaround on dimmer days. On brighter days, I usually prefer the Pentax FA 28-105 f3.2-4.5 for the smaller size/weight and extra reach at the long end. The Tamron is sharp to very sharp throughout both the aperture range and focal length range. AF is pretty fast with the DS and very fast with the K10. There's not much to not like about this lens IMO.

The Sigma 24-70 is preferred by some for the wider lower end, but it's not quite as good as their 28-70 which is very good, but I don't think quite as good as the Tamron. I'm not a Sigma fan after a few less than desirable experiences, so I really didn't consider them. Of course YMMV.

Alternatively, some good lenses to consider in this range would be the Tokinas. They made a 28-70 f 2.8 AT-X Pro SV which was very highly regarded and two versions of the 28-70 f2.6-2.8 AT-X Pro which are, from what I've heard, not quite as good, but differences are pretyy much nitpicky. I don't think that they are currently made, so you'd have to find one on the used market (so what's new?). Tokinas build quality is excellent, especially on their AT-X Pro series.

I haven't shot any concerts, but I would think that the soon-to-be-coming DA*50-135 f2.8 would be close to the ideal lens for this kind of work, but it's prolly gonna be pricey.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 2:22 PM   #3

I had the Sigma 28-70mm for my Canon Rebel and was quite happy with it
and it paired quite nicely with the Sigma 70-300mm
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote