Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 12, 2007, 7:11 PM   #1

It had rained all sunday morning. Late in the afternoon, I finally got a break from the wife and baby. (I swear if I have to go to another screaming kid's birthday party at chucky cheese...&^#%^@!!). I grabbed my bike and camera gear and off I went down to Backbay for a little peace and quiet. The sun had finally come out from behind the clouds. It was low on the horizon but the light was so beautiful. A strong wind was blowing in off the beach and it whipped the marsh reeds back and forth. As I cycled through the bay, I came upon a group of seagulls having fun kiting in the cool updrafts.

I even spotted a red tailed hawk soar high above the cliffs. I got some shots of him, but he was so far up there, the image quality is too poor to post.

This is my favorite shot of the afternoon. I wished I had not clipped it's wingtips, but whaddya gonna do.

Thanks for looking.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2007, 7:52 PM   #2

I can't pick a favorite I like all 3. You did gooood again.

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:07 PM   #3

WOW, Your seagulls get better and better. Very nice exposures, great job not blowing out the white.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:20 PM   #4

I don't know about your title, I don't see seagulls as all that stupid. Now a crow or hawk may show far greater intellect,and a ruffed grouse, a common chicken or a domesticated turkey may be unintelligent enough to call stupid but I would put the seagull a little above average on the avian intelligence scale.

Great pictures by the way.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:22 PM   #5

Darn you, royce! Your excellent photos convinced me to purchase the Sigma 70-300 APO too. The truly sad thing is that I'm purchasing the lens before I can purchase my new camera (just sold my *ist DL), so I'll have nothing to use the lens with :lol:

Great shots as usual.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:45 PM   #6

Wonderful pictures - the light really adds to them, though they would be excellent regardless. Yesterday I was on my way to the landfill when I saw a redtail hawk soaring fairly low over the road. Of course I didn't have the camera, and wasn't somewhere I could have stopped. Why do I only hear him when I'm out walking, never see him?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:49 PM   #7

Hmmm....stupid bird photos....I'm sensing a theme here...maybe the name for a new forum??....

Great shots Royce. I'll never tire of your bird shots....cheers........Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 10:29 PM   #8

ahh, these are new to me...nice shots. I can just see the thoughts of that first seagull shot..."what the hell is he lookin' at?" :lol:
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:51 AM   #9

Please, more and more of your wonderful "stupid" bird shots.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 7:31 AM   #10

Rodney9 wrote:
Please, more and more of your wonderful "stupid" bird shots.

I second that . On the 'stupid' subject, let me elaborate a bit.
They are stupid in that they move too fast, do not pose for us and retuse to turn around when their butts were facing us. That is photography.

After I did a few pict on dragonflies mating, I believe I hit the ceiling. So I was joking with Roy to get some 'macro threesome'. Roy retorted that had got to be dead flies then. It was fun and you can see how tough it is to get to the next level.

Daniel , Toronto

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote