Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 13, 2007, 4:01 PM   #1

Due to the apparent popularity of the above packages, I downloaded them to try.

I have been using photoshop since the early days, now using CS2.

Anyway, I was surprised at just how easy it was to install and use. UFRAW reads the Pentax files with no problems (DL2) and the auto adjust gives a great starting point.

The GIMP is easy to use, with no excessive frills.

Not sure if I would swap, as I have invested a lot of time in CS2, but who knows?

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2007, 4:05 PM   #2

I have GIMP but haven't used it in some time for the same reasons... but now that I am two versions behind (PS7), I might give it another whirl, rather than $$$ upgrade.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 7:26 PM   #3

i use GIMP all the time

i just havent figured UFraw out properly

i like that you can put the raw file into GIMP and edit it in GIMP though

but i think it is possible to save over the original raw file if you are not careful

i use rawshooter semostly cos it makes sense to me

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 4:43 AM   #4

Have tried the GIMP,

and if I didn't have Photoshop CS2 (CS3 as soon as its available - my employer pays the bill :G) I would certainly make the switch.

IMHO - I don't think this is a question on what program is better, but how much time you're willing to spend learning it and figuring out how it works, and how much money you want to spend.

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:48 AM   #5

The problem with the Gimp is that you have to drop down to 8 bits editing after the image is handed over from the raw plugin. I tried using the Gimp for a while in Linux but I kept wondering why my images didn't sharpen as nicely or why the levels tool didn't do as well in the Gimp as in Photoshop. I have concluded that the reason for this must be the number of bits you have to work with. In Linux, I get better results with Cinepaint (a Gimp fork) than with any other product, so far. You need to install Adobe color profiles (available for Linux for free), but it is not hard. The advantage it has over the Gimp is that it allows you to work in 16 bit mode all the way through the post processing steps until you are ready to save the final image. If you are using Linux, give Cinepaint a try.
rmarquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 1:02 AM   #6

Likely that will change relatively soon.... not like GIMP was put out there and never changed... but as no one is making money off it, change comes a bit more slowly.... than $600/copy P Shop incentinve.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 4:16 AM   #7

GIMP is nice, missing is 16bit support. There is a 16bit GIMP offspring, but works only well in LINUX.

I like using GIMP for the average edit and it's good to have a system for both Windows and Linux.

No money for PS here, am using PL32 for 16bit stuff.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote