Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:20 AM   #1

Here are the DETAILS:
Kenco Brand Lens
Zoom System: Linear Push - Pull with Zoom Lock
Focal Length: 420-800mm or 840-1600mm with 2x Teleconverter
Focus Mode: Manual Focus
Minimum Focus: 5.25ft
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority Automatic and/or Manual Depending on Camera Model
Aperture: f/8.3 @ 420mm f/16 @ 800mm
Aperture with 2X Teleconverter: f/16.6 @ 840mm f/32 @ 1600mm
Filter Size: 62mm
Dimensions (diameter x length):
Zoom Lens: 2.7x 8.75 in.
2X Teleconverter: 1.9 x 2.0 in.

Zoom Lens: 18.3 oz.
2X Teleconverter: 3.0 oz.

I can get one for $179.00, but if it's junk, I won't bother and it is a Manual Focus lens, which I'm not sure how difficult it would be to focus, since I'm a newbie at all this stuff. Hmmmmm, should I or shouldn't I :?:
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:23 AM   #2

Would you buy a new sports car of unknown make with a 20 hp motor doing max 40 mph for500 USD without trying it first? From the data you present it seems like you can only use the lens on very sunny days on the beach or in snowy landscape. My guess is that the IQ is disappointing as well. I wouldn't buy it. But manual focus is no problem, buy one of a more normal focal lenght and try.

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:52 AM   #3

I agree with Kjell, I would not buy it before trying it out, since the chances of it being a poor quality lens is fairly high.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 2:53 PM   #4

It sounds like garbage. Even if the lens quality is ok, then small apertures make anything much above the 420mm mark pretty useless. And 1600mm at f/32? Maybe you could use that to shoot the sun.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 7:24 PM   #5

Kjell, thanks for your comments. I was just curious if anyone had one and how it worked for them, but I have to agree, the IQ will mostly likely be disappointing. Like they say, you get what you pay for.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 7:34 PM   #6

Tom & Corpsy,

Thanks for commenting. Hey Corpsy, at f/32 @1600mm, the sun may be my only shot. Tom, I'm going to try out any lens I purchase in the future, as long as the camera shop doesn't mind. I wasn't satisfied with my Pentax kit 18-55mm until I got used to my K10D, now I think it's a great lens, especially for it's price. :|
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:01 PM   #7

aren't you glad you did not spend that amount on sh^%. for a 180usd you can get a very fine tele on ebay. it may not be a 5000mm lens but it will give good results.
research and google are your friend.. use them.