Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:54 AM   #1

Hi all,

Newbie to the forum but a long time lurker.

I need help choosing a new camera bag. Here's my situation, I'll be traveling extensively for work (starting in Shanghai, China on the 19th). I'm a field engineer so I have a ton of suff to carry with me already.

I need to find a bag that will hold 2 laptops (1 for work, 1 personal) plus camera equipment. I have a K110D, 18-55, 70-300, 50mm, 28mm, flash (old Nissin 360), plus cards, filters, etc. I'd also like to leave a little room in case I can pick up a few more lenses during my travels. I'd like it to be carry on size as I'll already have 2 bags to check in.

If anyone can recommend something that might work I would greatly appreciate it.
Slick64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2007, 3:23 PM   #2

Welcome, Slick64!

This is a topic we have dealt with a few times before. Since your requirements are a bit special it might be difficult for anyone to tell you "get this and you'll be satisfied". I dug out this old thread which might give you some ideas, including a number of DIY projects like my own.

Again welcome, we will all wait impatiently for your shots from China:|

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 3:56 PM   #3

This is the one I travel with and it holds lots of photo equipment, and one laptop in the back. If your other laptop was fairly thin like a Mac, you could put another over the photo stuff and still zip the cover shut.

It also has a rain cover just in case the weather get bad.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:25 PM   #4

tom, how do you fit your 500mm in that?? it's only 17.5 inches tall.

Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:30 PM   #5

Hi Kjell,

Thanks for the thread and the welcome.

I did try searching but never really found anything that fit my needs. I like your set up. Might try that for a walk around bag.

Ihadn't considered a DIY. I might be able to come up with somethingusing a hard case if I can find one big enough for the equipment but small enough to carry on.

Plan on some pics from China soon.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the link. That's interesting. Close to what I'm looking for. Unfurtunately my laptop is pretty big and the company laptop probably is as well (haven't gotten it yet).

Thanks for the help,

Old Mar 7, 2007, 5:37 PM   #6

Two laptops is a killer. Why do you need both? Just take the work laptop and use an external harddrive to store/work on your pictures. You can get a flash memory stick that could hold a small image editing program. That way, you could work on the company laptop without actually installing programs or leaving any files on the laptop.

Here's the card reader/hard drive I use: http://secure.serverlab.net/shop/mer...re_Code=T00107

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 8:12 AM   #7

Hi Russ,

I also use the personal laptop for gaming as well. What can I say, I'm a 43 year old kid. Helps pass the time if you don't feel like doing anything after work.

Still debating whether or not to take a work laptop, It's not required, but it has software on it that's useful.

Thanks for the link. That drive is sharp. I may see if I can getone delivered before I leave.

Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:33 AM   #8

Another option is available to you locally.

They make extremely high quality bags and they are from Orlando.

They have a small showroom on Grant St in Orlando.

I purchased one of their Alpha bags and have been very pleased with it.

The Sierra bag converts from a briefcase to a shoulder bag to a sling bag very rapidly. Definitely worth checking out.
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:15 AM   #9

I recently bought a Crumpler Shrinkle, since my lens arsenal was getting too big to carry in the old small shoulder bag I had.

I'm very pleased with it. Big bag (the Brian's Hot Tub is even bigger), comfortable to carry, takes about 90% of all my current gear, so I can always carry everything I need and more. Fully customisable interior. And most importantly for me: VERY safe against thieves: The zipper is actually on the back under the shoulder straps, so it's impossible to open up the compartment where the expensive stuff is held when you're wearing it. It also doesn't look like a camera bag, which is very important to me, you can walk around at night in a big city without much worry with this bag...

Only downside I've found: the fact that the camera compartment slopes can be annoying if you need to fit a lot of longer lenses or bigger gear.

If you want I can post a more extensive review with pictures...

A bag that holds 2 laptops by default is going to be hard to find, as very few people actually carry 2 of them.
I think your best bet is to get a big bag with a laptop compartment, and then get one of those laptop sleeves ( http://www.blueunplugged.com/xsdbimg...-white-des.jpg )
and put that inside.

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:48 AM   #10

Thanks for that link Driver3. I'm probably not more than a mile or 2 away from them. I'm going to contact them to see what they would suggest.

Funny, I've lived here for 30+ years and never heard of them.

Thanks again.