Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 11, 2007, 6:54 AM   #11

That is very good advice Crashman ,I will go and have a feel /look . What your saying about IQ they all producethe SAME pics cant tell the difference really is that using a kit lens or even if you use expensive lenses "still cant tell any difference" what brand / camera was used now with respect I am confused! sorry !, Is it then get the cheapest DSLR as long as it feels good to use and lens choice is not that important:?WOW !
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 9:19 AM   #12

When I bought my K100 I also looked at the D40. I don't think there is a 'perfect' entry-level DSLR out there. Any camera will have limitations. In the end you have to decide what features are important to you, and decide from there. The D40 is indeed lighter, smaller, has a brighter viewfinder, a slightly better control setup (arguable), and maybe takes better 'out of the camera' jpegs. The D100 has in body shake reduction, uses easily available AA batteries (opinions differ on wether this is better or worse), has a top LCD display, more lens selection, and the kit lens has the 'quick-shift' focus system. The latter allows you to alter the focus after the AF has locked focus. The Nikon DXII lenses do not allow you to adjust focus unless the focus switch is set to MF.

For me the deciding features were the shake reduction and comfort, and to a lesser extent the quick-shift. Although the D40 is smaller and lighter, it was not as comfortable in my hands. Don't let the weight of the k100 scare you. It is not heavy, just heavier. I found it very comfortable to carry around for a full day. As for the viewfinder, unless you compare the cameras side-by-side, you won't notice that the difference.

silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 9:34 PM   #13

My opinion is that lenses matter more than the camera does - a mediocre lens on the best camera always produces (at best) a mediocre picture. An outstanding lens on either the D40 or the K100 will produce excellent results. I always recommend buying the best lenses you can afford.

There doesn't seem much difference between the Nikon and Pentax kit lenses - both seem to be good value for what little you pay for it. Many people love the DA 50-200 lens, buit I'm notthat crazy about mine. It's a workmanlike lens, takes reasonable pictures and I use it all the time, but I'll probably get one of the new DA* lenses when they come out this spring. I didn't realize what a difference a top quality lens makes until I bought one, an A*300 (auto exposure, manual focus). All of a sudden the limitations of the DA lens became more noticeable.

That's one of the main things I think the K100 has over the D40 - it's ability to use old lenses. It's a whole lot cheaper to buy a top quality used lens than to buy one new (well, most of the time). My budget would never stretch to buying the more expensive Nikon lenses just to get AF, and while I use manual focus quite often, at least I have the option of getting more reasonably priced AF lenses, like the DA 50-200.

The other thing that I'm mildly curious about - since the Nikon can only AF with lenses with the motor built in - are these lenses bigger and heavier than the same lens would be that focused by the camera's motor? Would that affect the balance and overall weight of the system - i.e., would there be extra weight in the lenses, negating the less weight in the D40?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:56 PM   #14

Surprisingly enough,, the Nikon AF-S lenses are extremely compact and light weight. When I bought the D40 I also bought the 50-200mm AF-S (not the VR version). I was amazed by its compact size and weight. The lens was about the same size as the kit lens (18-55mm). Image quality was good and because of its small size, I ended up having it mountedon the camera most of the time. The only negative was the fact that sometimes it would back focus and the metering was also hard to adjust (well, that's one of D40's major problems - and the D80 as well).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote