Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 12, 2007, 7:48 PM   #1

I had been going to the local park at lunch practicing on birds. It had been really cold so the lakes had iced over and all the birds were in the only open water. While I don't think any of these are wall hangers, I thought they were interesting.

This heron was staking out a culvert for foodswimming through. From this angle he reminded me of a villian from an old movie in a top hat and cape with a long thin nose all hunched over.

This is the best "almost" I have taken yet. I do not know what kind of ducks they are but theywould have made a beautiful shot for a more skilled shooter.

Both taken with K10 and 50 - 200.
sgarthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:21 PM   #2

Your heron does look like a villan in a cape! I think your ducks are hooded mergansers - too bad they are flying because the white on the head of the male is a crest and quite striking when it is up. These are better than the majority of my birds in flight photos - the few I've posted are the exception.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:06 AM   #3

I love the composition of that first picture.

Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 6:43 AM   #4

2nd shot looks like taken shortly after take-off with spray coming off their feet.

Nice capture. Great looking birds.

Ian Mc
Ian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 3:37 PM   #5

The ice in the first pic made it hard for me to get the exposure right (or as right as I could get it). Originally I was stoked over the second picuntil I got it on the PC and just could not get it sharp enough to be happy. It is without a doubt my best "almost".

A few thousand more pics and I may get the hang of it.:-)

Thanks for the comments and encouragement.
sgarthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:57 PM   #6

I feel your pain, it seems that I get tons of those "almosts" for every shot I really like. I don't know what lens you are using but flying things, the birds and the bees, have been a real challenge for me too. Most of my lenses are manual focus but even the autofocus lenses do not seem fast enough to keep up with these subjects on my K100. My current theory is that the law of averages will play to my favor if I capture enough frames, so keep shooting!

PS: Yes, I think your heron does look exactly like an old Hollywood villian, good capture.

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote