Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:20 PM   #1

I received my GX-10 a couple of weeks ago so I don't really need a firmware upgrade but I thought I'd ask Samsung UK when it might be available.
The answer I received was basically there are no upgrades yet. Which is what I knew hence me asking when.
I've contacted them again but it doesn't fill you with a huge amount of confidence. I suppose that's what you get buying a consumer item like the GX-10 rather than the more expensive K10D, a piece of photographic equipment.

That said the camera is a joy to use. Once I get used to lugging a heavy piece of kit around (compared to my previous Olympus point ad shoot) and discovered what all the buttons and dials can do I'll hopefully be able to give a review of the camera. But so far, so good.
Just for info the Samsung customer service dept is outsourced to a company called Call Centre Nucleus, based in South Africa. Most of their client list appear to be motor manufacturers.
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:33 PM   #2

kieth, welcome to the board.
your cam is new and may have all the updates installed. pressing the menu button when you turn the cam on should display what OS you are updated to. try calling pentax to see if their updates can be used on the samsung.

Old Mar 20, 2007, 3:01 PM   #3

Interesting - I wonder what differences there are between the Samsung and the Pentax - there weren't any difference as far as I could tell with the earlier models. The first K10 added quite a few minor function additions, some of which I really like. I did the second update, but haven't figured out quite what it was all about. I'm not sure knowing the version of software will give you an idea if it has the Pentax updates included - I would guess that Samsung would start their own numbering system.

I've always thought that Samsung was cheaper because they wanted to get established in the dSLR market. Pentax has the advantage of having many long-time loyal filmcustomers, but Samsung is coming into something that is newfor them. One way to get market share is to offer the same thing for less.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 2:55 AM   #4

As far as I can tell, the GX10 is a slightly cut-down version of the K10D and is aimed more at consumer level whereas the K10D is for the semi-pro/pro.

One of the updates on the K10D gives wireless flash using the in-built unit.

Certain other differences include the ISO setting in 1/3 stops on the K10D and full stops on the GX10.

Plus Pentax will continue to release firmware updates, whilt Samsung have stated that updates for their camera are not necessary as everything works properly.

By the way, the vertical grip by Pentax does apparently fit onto the GX10 as well. Handy as Samsung has yet to release one.

Prices in UK are

K10D £589 body only and 1 year warranty
GX10 £599 with the 18-55 and 50-200 kit lenses and 2 year warranty

Is one better than the other? Does it matter for practical purposes?
Am I going to buy a GX10 or K10D?

Still leaning towards the K10D.

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote