Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 24, 2007, 5:57 PM   #1

Hi everyone.
First I have been browsing the messages for a while and its been extremely useful so thanks for loads of help already.

I am planning on finally buying a dslr but not spending too much to start with. I have some older Pentax m lenses which I hope to play with as well.

I am looking at a 100d but also a 1stdl as they are now available new at a significant discount. However the 1stdl reviews appear to highlight issues over processing in camera. While I expect to play around with some images from raw others I just want to work ok. So I feel its an issue for me.

Firstly is it the issue some reviewers suggest.
Secondly does any of the firmware upgrades fix the problem?

Would welcome comments & thanks in advance.
pickenjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2007, 6:21 PM   #2

dSRLs don't, as a rule of thumb, do as much 'in camera' processing as P&S cameras -it's left to the user to post process to get the results they desire. Remember that a heavily 'in camera' processed image CANNOT be undone whereas a unprocessed image give the basis from which to create.

If you crank up the default settings, I'm sure that you'll get acceptable results in JPEG.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 3:20 AM   #3

What are the issues you are talking about here?

I have a *ist DL2 and things are ok so far. Up from medium quality JPEG ("**" mode) you can safely post-process (1.5-2.5MB file size for a 6mp image), the 1-star (worst) setting is still good enough if there are no tricky parts in it or too difficult lightning etc.

For the average photo print even the 1-star setting is enough.

RAW's - well, this is my first camera with RAW so can't really compare, but the few other "1:1" converted images (mostly in TIFF then) I saw didn't show significantly better quality.

Please be more specific about your question, I'll try to answer if I can.

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 6:48 AM   #4

Dear John, I have a DL andthere area lot of options forthe in-camera processing. The main thing my DLdoesn't do too well is adjust white balance in automatic mode for tungsten lighting. If you use the manual white balancethepicturescome out fine. It also has a very small amount of shutter lag which may mean missing the exact moment the ball hits the bat or the foot strikes the ball. However you can still get somepretty goodsport shots as you can see if you look on the Baseball in Germany thread in this forum.Overall, I am quite satisfied with the camera.

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote