Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:15 PM   #1

Hi, hello, greetings all -

Got my new K100D on Wednesday. It was delivered in the middle of a snowstorm, so I was limited to making indoor test shots. Anyway, The first thing I noticed as I was taking the body out of the box - was a "clunk". Noticeable when I rotate the camera or tip it form side to side. It feels like something loose inside the body. I tried searching this forum, then googled and came up with this explanation http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...p;changemode=1

It's very faint and subtle - more of a feeling than a sound. Flipped through the manual, checked the Pentax website...called the Pentax 800 number, but it was after hours.

Anyone know if this "clunk" is normal for this camera?

Also noticed a dust spot. At least that's what I think it is, in the sameplace in the photos. Here is one of my first shots with the new camera.

Attached Images
PhotoScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2007, 9:12 PM   #2

I have read other peoples descriptions of noticing a "clunk" or "thud" inside the K100 and K10 but I can't say that I have ever noticed it in mine. I would just start snapping pics, if there is something wrong it should show up soon. Certainly nothing wrong with your first shot!

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 9:42 PM   #3

the sensor, being free-floating and constrained with magnets, moves around when the cam is powered down.

yeah, that's a good ole dust spot.

take a pic of a bright white backgound (computer monitor maybe?) when out of focus and at f/22 and all the dust should show up clearly.
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 1:04 AM   #4

My K10D thunks fairly heavily when powering on, as I have it set to shake the sensor every turn-on.

Strange feeling, but the pictures are fine, so I have accepted it as normal.

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 10:20 AM   #5

As as has been mentioned before, the K100D's sensor is somewhat free-floating as part of the SR system. I didn't notice it at first, but have felt/heard it when carrying it around with the power off occasionally. I put it down to "normal" and don't think about it. My K100 gets dragged around just about everywhere, and is going strong after 7 months.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote