Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 17, 2007, 5:06 PM   #1

all taken with Vivitar S1 70-210 f2.8-4. some are shot at iso 400 to get fast shutter speed as I was using DL2 (no SR). it's still hard for me to get focus spot on even with split screen, especially at f 2.8 or 4 when DOF is quite shallow.
anyway here they are. any comments and crits are welcomed

gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2007, 5:36 PM   #2

Love these pics. The Meerkat, the lizard, the birds of prey. Wonderful pics.

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 8:14 PM   #3

Hi Greg,

All very nicely done, but my favorites are the baboon family and the meerkat (who doesn't like meerkats?). You must have been able to get pretty close -- what a great place that must be!

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 8:58 PM   #4

Very nice shots, my favorites would be the 2nd (profile shot, Impala?) and the 6th one, (very very sharp focus on that bird). If you are having trouble getting your focus spot on, it sure does not show in these shots!

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 9:47 PM   #5

All I can say is these must be the ones you didn;t have a problem with. #6 is my favorite.

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:28 PM   #6

Wonderful. I can not pick the best, they are so good, although that Meerkat is so cute.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:02 AM   #7

Nice shots here!

I recently got a Viv S1 70-210/2.8-4 too and want to do a zoo tour with it - so far I am quite pleased with the performance. Focussing (have the original DL2 screen, no microprism etc.) is a challenge at times.

What I found so far: the sliding zoom makes up for faster zoom/focus combo than on a rotating zoom when you use MF, which is neccessary when AF tricks you (animals hiding in trees and stuff).

That's where I think the Viv 70-210 will shine for me if I compare to the Tamron 70-300/4-5.6. I also got some better soccer shots with the Viv this week due to the easy zoom/focus handling.

#2,3,4,6 are great, #1 has a soft feeling but the water droplets and the light are great. #5 with a wider DOF would be a keeper for me, the blurry nose/mouth is too distracting for me in that shot.

#7... oh well. The pose is wonderful, but it also has a soft feeling to me, although I think the focus is on the eyes... am a bit puzzled where this comes from... hm

I very much like the colors of #2 and #6!
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 3:25 AM   #8

thanks fo all nice comments

i took well over 150 photos that day. only 40 were usable due to focus problems.

baboons are hard to shoot because you can't open windows in your car when you go through monkey part of the safari. I had only two good pictures.

forgot to mention that iguana was shot vith Vivitar S1 105mm macro at f2.4, that's why DOF is so shallow.

Tim: I was very happy when I saw no6 at my PC screen. it's the sharpes pic of orund 15 photos of birds I took that day

thkn777: you're right, it's slightly out of focus. that's the best I have with this bird. but I just couldn't make myslef delete all of them.

Scott: you can get quite close to all this animals. at one poit a camel was sticking his head in my car through open window (no photo though). I was just dissapointed when I went through big cats sections because I haven't seen a tiger(must've been hiding) and the lions were as usual (sleeping, lazy bast...)

It was fun. I'll go there again, but before that I've found a tropical butterfly house just 40 miles from here. that's my next trip

if anyone is interested here's their webpage

gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:17 AM   #9

Great shots Greg, one more thing to write down to visit this year.

My agenda is overflowing :-), thanks for sharing them - Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:06 PM   #10

I love them too - well done. The lens looks like you'll have great fun with it, in spite of the focus problems. If you aren't sure of the focus, try a bigger aperture - you risk getting more background in focus but you might manage to have what you want in focus. While some are minorly better than others, I don't have a favorite - they all have something to offer.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote