Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 23, 2007, 1:16 PM   #1

As a matter of habit, I check my bank accout daily as well as my credit cards.

About two weeks ago, I discovered an entry on one of my Visa cards from "PayPal". PayPal will normally do a Temporary authorization againt a credit card account when one is being used to make a purchase.

Well, I hadn't made any purchases using PayPal for over 8 months, so I called PayPal and inquired about the "Temp Authorization". They indicated that someone had used my credit card # for a purchase. They asked me what name was on the card, and I gave it to them. They then asked my wifes name and if I had any children who might have used my account and what their name might be as welll. When I told them my wifes name and Daughters name, they immediately agreed that the charge was an un-authorized charge and they woulld immediatly remove that charge and allow no further charges using that credit card number from anyone including me.

Now, this was an excellent response from, and by, PayPal so I have to give them their proper accolades for acting quickly.

I, of course, then called my credit card company and had them cancel that account and re-issue my card which they did promptly.
Moral of the story here is.....

If you have credit card accounts, check them daily for errors and unusual activity. If you catch it quickly, you can head it off. If you wait until you receive your statements each month, you could be as much as 30 days behind someone using your cards and the process of getting charges removed can be tedious.

If purchasing "on-line" or even "over the phone", ask your card carrier for a temporary "one time use" account number so that your actual card number doesn't get into the hand of someone who will try to rip you off.

Just though I'd share this. Thanks for looking.

And, BTW, I hope Paypal and the merchant pursue whoever tried to use my account and get them locked up for credit card fraud.
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2007, 2:26 PM   #2

Thanks for sharing and glad you did not get burned by these losers. Sounds like paypal did their job as well as you.
87olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 7:46 PM   #3

This is good news. Looks like Paypal is really shaping up.

paypalsucks.com really spooked me for quite a while.
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote