Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:18 AM   #11

Robert Barnett wrote:
Now I am sure no one else has ever done this. So I thought I would put out my Homer Simpson DOH! moment. :roll:
Actually I do it almost every day to a lesser degree....

Usually end up shooting something available light at night....

Then next day might take until 3rd shot I realize that shutter shouldn't be 1/3000 sec...

OOPS..... yet rarely truly blown out, just poor highlights.

Sometimes some interesting colors if not returned to AWB too.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 1:37 AM   #12

Took a bunch of bird pictures at the Salton Sea at 1600 - realized it after a while. I ran them all through Neat Image and did OK with the grebes, but there was too much detail lost to save the pelicans (they were really too far away for a 300 lens). I had really good luck with Neat Image and the horse show pictures, so it's aways worth a try if you want to try to save some of the best.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 2:18 AM   #13

I did it at ISO 3200 in New Mexico during a Photography Workshop. I wanted to image a Polar Bear rug inside a building at a western movie set. I did not reset the ISO and went outside and took about 70 images of one of the actors hired to pose for us that day - he was standing in direct sunlight. My *ist Ds worked great - very high shutter speed with very small f stops (shooting in AV mode). Almost an hour later I was taking an image of a cow skull and noticed that at f/32 the shutter speed was 1/3000 of a second. All of them came out - but that is when I discovered (and I really hesitate to say this after all the BolShoy that has been going on with the K10D) ------ horizontal banding at high ISO in the *ist Ds. I was shooting JPEG so not much can really be done about it - you have to look hard to see it but it is there. (It was before I discovered the wonders of RAW.

I have come close to doing it with the K10D, but the firmware update (v1.11 - I think) that gave me the ability to set the front wheel to ISO in AV mode - has saved my bacon. I check pretty often anymore- I love low ISO and think anything over 800 is really too much. Use a tripod.

PDL is offline   Reply With Quote