Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 18, 2007, 1:23 PM   #11

Well a quick check on the bay suggests a used K100D sells for roughly $400.

A used istDS sells for roughly $350, and a Pentax F 50mm f/1.7 sells for $155.

I thinkthis isa good deal and if you really want to add a lens to yourcollection this appears to be an easy way to do it. Great lenses will hold value better than camera bodies and are IMO a better investment.

Have you given any thought as to picking up a SMCP-M 50 f/2? A fast lens andrather inexpensive. Roy still might have one for sell. He was asking $31 shipped on another website. This way you can keep the K100D and perhaps get a 50mm lens.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 1:59 PM   #12

A new K100D sells for 430 @ B&H..... and as usual their service is excellent
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 3:09 PM   #13

I have both and I tend to keep shooting with the DS. I find the AF on the K100D faster but not by much in way of it making much difference for what I shoot it with. I have the 50mm 1.7 and I do like it but honestly don't use it near as much as the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 XR Di Macro.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 3:25 PM   #14

i've still got that and i picked up a super takumar 50mm f1.4 today that i'll part with.

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 3:52 PM   #15

FWIW, I will put in my 2 cents.

I would look around for a 50MM 1.4/1.7 and keep the K100D. I have the DS and the k100D. I love Both Cameras.
However it had become Apperent to Me that I really needed the SR. So i Picked up a Slightly used K100D.
I can say that I have noticed the Difference In AF Speed and i have also Noticed the Difference the JPG Conversion. However i Would not Hesitate to Use the DS.

But as Roy said, Only You can make the call as to what Is Important to You

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 5:46 PM   #16

Wow, what a tough call. The F 50mm 1.7 is one of my favorite lenses. I was crushed when mine stopped working and it is currently at a repair center. If it could not be repaired I would have immediately begun looking for another or sprung for a new 1.4.

On the other hand, I really like the SR of the K100. I have not used any other Dslr so I can't compare, but I do know that if I am careful I can sometimes get good shots at way under focal length/shutter speed inverse rule.

Good luck with your decision,

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote