Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 21, 2007, 11:28 AM   #1

Hi All,

Went out to shoot a little yesterday, even tho it was cloudy. As luck would have it, the clouds broke just as I arrived at Crab Tree Nature Center. Unfortunately the birds weren't cooperating, and I didn't get anything good of our feathered friends, so I just shot what I could with the DS, Tamron SP300/2.8, w/stacked converters (714mm, f6.7). . . just playing around.

Here's the best of what I did get. . .

These little flowers were everywhere . . . shot with the onboard flash. . . anyone wanna try a 714mm 5+lb macro. . .:-)

and these 2 frogs -- or maybe the same guy in two different places. . . what a difference lighting makes for the perception of the texture of his skin. . .

The first is with direct sunlight

and this one is in a different location, after the clouds rolled back in

finally, a medium-sized snapper looking around from the middle of a pretty thick cover of floating weeds

I did see a hummer, perched at the top of a dead tree, and an Eastern bluebird (my first sighting), but both were too small and too far away, even for 714mm for a decent shot . . .

. . . but as I always try to do -- since my early C&R fishing days. . . never go home completely skunked. . .:-)

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2007, 11:39 AM   #2

an excellent days shoot scott.

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 1:34 PM   #3

great shots , if I have to pick a favourite it would be the snapper, I think it must been almost impossible to see in its camouflage. - Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 1:59 PM   #4

Really like the second frog shot. The first one is good but has hot spots. Cloud cover diffuses the light so it looks more even. Maybe a bit drab for some tastes but I like it nonetheless.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 10:46 PM   #5

Your snapper is priceless, and I really like the frog. It's funny about hot spots - I know they aren't good and the pros reject anything with one, and they really bother some people. I just can't get too unhappy about a shot with one or two small ones, especially when it involves water. I'll probably always be an ordinary run-of-the-mill amateur with that kind of attitude, but I really like thefirst frog.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 4:21 PM   #6

I agree - I also prefer the 1st frog. It just has that certain something in the compostion that makes it just right.

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 7:40 PM   #7

Those are all nice but I am voting for the first frog too. If Tom had not pointed them out I would not have noticed the hot spot. It is funny how catch light in the eyes is good but a hot spot is bad.

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 8:57 PM   #8

You had a really gooood photo day. The 2nd frog is my favorite.

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote