Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 25, 2007, 2:39 AM   #1

When I got home tonight, I noticed a lot of spiders crawling around on the garage and the siding of my house. I had the K100D handy, so decided to try getting some macros.

I took these all with the kit lens and the on-board flash. These spiders were all around 1 1/2" long, and the kit lens isn't macro enough to get really close, but the images were detailed enough that closeup crops seem to turn out rather well.

This fat, crunchy fellow was just hanging there calmly, not seeming to mind the flash, so a good starter spider.

This creepy abomination came crawling up. I don't know what it is, but I hate it.

Look at that face. If I plucked out it's front legs, it'd probably crawl with it's eye stalks.

Normally I would destroy something like this, but have you ever stomped on one of these and then lifted your shoe and there wasn't a trace of it? After having some good, closeup images of what might be crawling up my pant leg, I decided to leave it be.

Don't look at me...

Here's one spinning it's web.

It's putting it's web on the garage door. I tried to kill it twice, but I'm sure it's still out there.

Summer may be just around the corner, but I think this is a good time to start weather sealing my home. How big are the spiders in Alaska?
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2007, 6:32 AM   #2
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Great results with the kit lens!!! In the mean time,I'd call the Orkin Man if I were you:lol:

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 10:58 AM   #3

Hi Corpsy,

I was ROFLMAO reading the comments accompanying your very good spidey shots -- The image of you cringing, but still continuing to shoot these "creepy" guys just put a very funny picture in my mind. . .

The comment about trying to stomp on one, only to find no remains, and having it crawling up your leg was especially good

Sorry for finding so much humor in your apparent discomfort. . . but I have to admire your dedication to get "the shot".

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 1:32 PM   #4

If you want to get some good shots of night critters, turn on an outdoor light for a while and then go out hunting with your camera. You can get a pretty good select of bugs particularly moths and the occasional spider dining on one.

Nice shots of our 8 legged friends.

JimInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 3:00 PM   #5

Those things are nasty looking! Nice job for the kit lens.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 5:12 PM   #6

Nice pics but the monologue that went with them was even better. Thanks for the smiles!

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 11:19 PM   #7

It constantly surprises me how versatile the kit lens can be - these are excellent! I had to laugh about your commentary, though I think they are creepy, too. My other half laughs at me when I see one and call him to dispatch it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 12:35 AM   #8

Thanks for the comments! I'm glad you enjoyed the photos as well as the commentary, though I bet if I'd managed to photograph a rabid wolf coming at me mid-pounce, it would all be props for the kit lens.

Jay, I'd call the Orkin guy but his poisons would probably kill the neighbor's dogs before it'd get to these things.

Scott, I'm glad my revulsion at the micro-horrors that surround me is entertaining to you!

I have my camera set up so that when I preview my photos and zoom in, it instantly zooms 4x so I can quickly assess how sharp the images are (a very handy feature). I didn't have any problem shooting these things, but when I zoomed in on that wacky wall crawlin' atrocity I nearly dropped my camera. And that thing peering around the corner with it's half human face? Ugh... Anyway, no need to apologize!

Jim, thanks for the tip. I gave it a shot tonight, but all it seemed to attract were swarms of non-photogenic vein sippers. Also, I question your choice of "friends".

Thanks for looking Tom! My kit lens sends it's regards.

Tim, I appreciate the compliments! It's good to know that juvenile humor can effectively compensate for mediocre photography!

Mtngal, you're making my kit lens blush! But seriously, thanks for the compliments, I'm glad you liked them! As far as your husband, maybe if he got a good look at these photos he wouldn't think being asked to kill them was so funny anymore.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 4:09 AM   #9

And just WHAT is troublesome????.... they eat other MUCH more potentially troublesome (and prolific) insects traped in their webs.

Though things you NEVER do here.... kill a benign spider or even worse a gheecko out of your house.... unless you WANT an infestartion.

And actually the gheecko's usually die of stravation unless you are really infested....or they don't find their way out again.... but still VERY bad luck to kill one just because you may think them ICKY.

Then again with no chemicals I have seen them attack and eat what we euphamisically call Palmeto Bugs.... any one else would call a Cocroach....you go guys (and gals maybe)!!!

Tiny lizzard or harmless spyder WHO cares?

And actually the DANGEROUS spyders generally do NOT camp out in houses.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote