Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 29, 2007, 3:25 PM   #11

Hi Mntgal

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Maybe this link can narrow down your search :

Like Rhemans answer this also lives only in Europe.

The lizzard looks great on my screen and I love the first dandilion abstract.

Harold321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 3:31 PM   #12

These are all awesome, Harriet! What a day! I especially like ... all of them, but I was on my way to write "the two dandelions". Though different equally good.

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 3:33 PM   #13

And then I look at the black/orange bug and think it's just right on, composition is "wow".

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 3:50 PM   #14

very nice H. what kind of butterfly??

HEY DANIEL!! H is posting butterflies again.. should we???

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 7:25 PM   #15

Great detail on the butterfly pictures, but I like the last abstract one the best.
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 7:56 PM   #16

Looks like you had a great day. Your lizard may not be as colorful as ours, but he looks impressive. He's got some great camouflage too. It would be tough to pick a favorite out of those.

JimInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 8:04 PM   #17

Nice butterfly Harriet, it was certainly worth posting. To answer your other question I think the lizard looks good, not over processed on mine at all. My favorite would be the first dandelion. I like the sharpness and detail.

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 10:09 PM   #18

Hi Harriet,

All the butterflies are great, the lizard looks fine to me, and I like your both choices of focus for the dandelions, but I like the bug with the black cat face on its butt the best. I like the skewed angle and the angle of its legs brings Charlie Chaplin to mind for some reason.

. . . and yes, sometimes I have a strange perspective on things. . .:-)

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 10:47 PM   #19

Thanks for the complements and letting me know that my work monitor might not be the best as far as the lizard shot goes. It's different than the one at home (which I like better) but sometimes wonder if it isn't adjusted wrong. Someday I'll get a monitor calibrator.

Roy - this is the FIRST butterfly I've ever posted - my usual efforts are significantly lacking. Now that I've finally managed a decent one (and a wild one at that) everyone else can post theirs and I won't feel jealous.

Butterflies are MUCH harder to identify than birds normally are - there's a whole lot more of them. I've managed to narrow it down to a couple of possibilities. The Boisduval's Blue is the most likely choice, I think, since the caterpillar feeds on lupine, and that's what this fellow was attracted to (the butterflies apparently live on other flowers also).http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=1622. It sounds like they are a common blue butterfly in the Western US.

The other possibility is the San Emigdio Blue, but that seems to be threatened/endangered. It's very localized but we are in it's reported range - San Emigdio Ridge is a bit west of where I found this one, and its been reported over a good portion of Southern California. http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=1621

Here's the underside of the wings (not as good as the first one). Maybe someone will be able to identify it better than I was able to.

P.S. - Scott - I hadn't noticed the cat face until you mentioned it! Do you happen to know what it is? It took quite a while to figure out possibilities for the butterfly, I wouldn't have a clue where to start with the bug (how do you start looking for a black bug with a cat's face on it's behind?).

Attached Images
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 3:14 PM   #20

Good that you posted the underside, as the type and pattternof spots is critical to the identification of Blues, many of which cannot be separated from above. There are alot of blues and similar coppers and hairstreaks, and not all are illustrated in the field guides. This one is very likely the Northern Blue, which has a virtually idnetical underwing pattern and doesbreed on Lupines, among other plants.Also characteristic on the upper side is the narrow dark line within the outer light border. Its range is a bit more northerly, but extends south in the mountauins to central California, so if this is one, then it is at the southern extreme of its range (assuming you took this near your home).

Not bad for a "cheapie" lens, either (I have one too See here).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote