Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 11, 2007, 8:49 AM   #1

I'm planning on getting a K100d (my first DSLR) this week. Should I get the body with the kit lens or can you suggest another combination. I'd also like to own a longer zoom lens. Is there one that can serve as a general purpose lens that I can keep on the camera most of the time?
rcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:53 AM   #2

Everyone suggests the Pentax 50-200 but it was a little too much money for me. I went with the Tamron 70-300 Di. I'm happy with it.
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:58 AM   #3

I'd suggest getting the K100D with the 18-55 kit lens along with the DA 50-200. There's a combination rebate available that makes all of this a very attractive purchase.

EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:14 PM   #4

I would not pass up on the kit lens, it's very decent, and I use it a lot when I need the wide-angle.

The DA 50-200 was too expensive for me too.

I've seen very nice results from both the Sigma (APO) and tamron (LD Di) 70-300mm lenses, and they're pretty affordable, if you want an autofocus lens.

If you want to go even cheaper and don't mind the lens to be manual, I just got a Tamron SP 60-300 and I'm loving it.

If you want it all in one lens, you could get a super zoom, like the Tamron 18-200mm DiII, but don't expect the same quality as with different lenses with a smaller range. The quality will be acceptable, but there will always be compromises with a lens like that.

I have the older 28-200 XR from Tamron, and I use it when I travel. For that purpose I'm happy with it, but for other things I use better lenses.

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:01 AM   #5

Haven't had one but people seem quite happy with the DA 50-200.....

You want to go 3rd party for a bit less the SIGMA 70-300mm APO is well liked.... and actually the much cheape ($130 vs $210) non APO Sigma 70-300mm is not all bad either, in non light critical situations. (Flare, etc)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote