Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 19, 2007, 4:05 AM   #1

This has probably been said before, and I couldn't imagine that professors and students alike haven't used this before, but I spent two years studying photo at CEGEP, and this technique was never mentioned.

So I was sitting in my room, looking at various objects, and trying to "see" what I'd be seeing through various focal lengths.

With my 70mm limited mounted, and looking through the viewfinder with my right eye at a glass on the table, I opened up my left eye, and imediately, what the viewfinder was seeing was superimposed onto what I was seeing naturally.

I tried this excusively with the 70mm for the past few days, and I'm slowly beginning to see naturally what I'd see at 70mm.

Sadly, this doesn't work very well if you're acustomed to using your left eye with the viewfinder.

Hope this helps some folks.

edit: I'm using a K10D. I realize that maybe this would be better at a different forum. My bad.
Attaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2007, 4:20 AM   #2

Interesting approach.... but after 30+ years with SLR's its sort of intuitive now (though there was a long time out, in the later ninties/early 2000's, when only P&S digital was affordable). And now usually just choose lenses by what I am seeing. Normally carry a 28-200mm, 100-400mm, the 18-55mm kit, and 50mm and 28mm fast primes.

As far as right or left eye that is just a matter of which you are accustomed to sighting with, as most cameras are relatively symetrically VF constructed... at least SLR's.

Another thing to do to is get aperture DOF feel by playing with DOF preview most SLR's offer, but many never use or never fully read the manual, and even know is there. FL and DOF much go hand in hand.

OH and PS NO WAY meant to be a slam on your observation as silly..... nice to see basic understanding, many don't first moving to SLR's... Just thinking them P&S that will just majically do more for them.... and never out of auto/green mode

Now just keep looking the same way at all the other factors of a SLR, if nothing else may keep you entertained .
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:59 PM   #3

Attaboy Attaboy, (sorry I couldn't resist) this is a very important aspect of photography that many people take for granted. Understanding focal length, angle of view and perspective are all aspects of "seeing" and any exercise that helps you to see as the camera does will improve your photography. Often we oversimplify this process.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 2:04 PM   #4

To be honest, I came across that technique years ago from someone photographing birds.

If you use your right eye to the VF and open the left eye, you can see the bird approach and shut the left eye at the right moment to take the shot.

Unfortunately, Hayward, you were too quick to post - this technique does not work if you look through the VF with you left eye, as your right hand on the shutter if in the way!!!

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 2:29 PM   #5

This is all really nice, unless you have a lazy eye and are forced to use your left eye on the VF
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 9:51 PM   #6

Interesting way of doing it - thanks for bringing it up! I'm going to have to try this next time I get a new lens. I've always gotten used to a particular focal length by taking lots of pictures at that focal length until I canmore or lesspredict what the field of view is going to be. Its easier to get a feel for it if you use prime lenses mostly - with zoom lenses you don't really need to know this - just whether it would be a wide angle or a telephoto shot.

Another thing that goes along with this is being able to look at something or a scene and figuring out how to capture what intrigues you about it. Choosing the right focal length - or making the most of the focal length you have - is an important part of that process, isn't it?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote