Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 19, 2007, 9:22 AM   #1

I'm somewhat familiar with the way filters (UV, Polorizers, Neutral Density, skylight etc.) work with film cameras, but I wondered if they are still in general use with Digital Cameras. Do y'all use filters, like a warm up or other corrective filters, or do you leave modifying tones to post processing in Gimp or Photoshop (or wherever)?

I generally use a U/V filter on my lenses on my K100d (for protection as much as cutting the haze) but I've never tried a polorizer (Circular or Linear). Do they affect digital sensors the same way as they do film? Cutting glare and highlights, I would think, is something you'd like to do when you're taking the shot, because you can't recover the information lost in the blown out areas.

Thank you in advance.

thePrisoner6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2007, 4:10 PM   #2

I do use a polarizeroftenand havea ND filter I'd use for waterfalls, if I ever see one again (been very dry out here, and yes I'm being sarcastic). I don't bother with warming filters since I can do that more accurately with pp software. I'd use a graduated ND filter if I had one - I've wanted one several times but there's too many other things I want at the moment. The polarizer is the one I use the most.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 4:44 PM   #3

The polarizer is about the only filter you can't easily reproduce using PP. the NDs also. the graduated NDs can be done in PP if you use a tripod and take more than 1 image. altho a lot of times it only takes a slightly underexposed single shot. kind of like this very underexposed shot. thank you gawd for RAW.

robar is offline   Reply With Quote