Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 10, 2007, 7:36 AM   #1

I posted in the What Camera Should I Buy forum and I narrowed down my camera selection to the K10D, but now I think I need help with what to get with it. I think I know the lenses I would like to pick up, but flash, memory, possible tripod, bag, filters if any, and anything else that might be needed for someone who doesn't have any equipment right now. I live in Korea and would like to buy everything from one vendor online if possible. So far I have been using B&H to check prices just because I have heard of them and they seem reliable, plus I know they ship to APO addresses.

So here is the list that I am pretty sure about:
Pentax K10D with SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL
Pentax SMCP-DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED
Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4
Pentax D-LI50 Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery

For a bag I was looking at the slingshot 200, I heard it is a good bag, I was wondering if it would fit all of that stuff, plus a flash and other random stuff.

Here are the possible or questionable things:
Pentax AF-540 FGZ P-TTL
Pentax AF-360 FGZ Autofocus P-TTL
1 or 2 Lexar 4GB 133x Secure Digital (SD) Card
Bogen / Manfrotto 3021BPRO Tripod Legs (Black) with 322RC2 Grip Action Ballhead (RC2 Quick Release)

The tripod and flash are things I'm not sure I will need right away. Although I think I would like to pick up the flash now and I think either model would fit my budget ($2000 +/- a couple hundred). Is there a big difference between the 2 flashes? I also have no idea if the tripod I put there is good, I know nothing about tripods. I don't think I want to go to carbon fiber at this point, even though I could be hiking with it a lot, I will suffer through the extra pound for the cost.

The memory I'm not sure about, I think I would like the 4gig cards, since I really don't like switching cards. I have no idea what speed is recommended or required, so I think the card I had listed was the fastest 4gig sd card at B&H.

If anyone has any recommendations on lenses those are welcome too, the 50mm I was looking at mainly for indoors low light situations, babies/children and pets mostly, when I wouldn't want to use a flash. The other 2 lenses are just options that seemed to fit the range I wanted. I'd like to get out to 200-300mm mostly for outdoors (non-moving) photos.

Filters are another thing I really know nothing about. I have heard it is a good idea to put an UV filter on mainly to protect the lens, which sounds good to me. There are so many options for UV filters though, anything from $10 to $80 it seems.

Any other random stuff I might need, cleaner, towels, I heard about some rocket thing that was good for getting dust off the sensor, anything like that?

Pricing out all of the items I had listed, camera, lenses, tripod, 540 flash, 2 memory cards, extra battery, bag, and cheap UV filters for all the lenses, with shipping came to $2,303.90 which is probably right at the top of my spending limits. The idea of waiting until later to buy better glass or costly add-ons (tripod, flash, etc) isn't going to work very well. Right now I am working in a profession where I can afford this stuff, but in 6 months I will be going back to school to become a teacher, so I will be pretty broke for a few years at least, the first part being back in school, and then starting teacher salary in Colorado isn't so great. This is one reason I chose the Pentax, I like the idea that if I want to pick up a new lens on e-bay I might be able to for $50 so I can go out and play with something new (I guess it would be used, but new to me).

That seems really long, I hope it isn't too much, and thanks for any help.
Mcclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2007, 8:22 AM   #2

Skip the cheap UV filters - they will just add distortion under certain conditions. If you are going to use filters, get good ones. I've quit using them as lens protectors and haven't had any problem. If you want to get a useful filter, look for a circular polarizer, a neutral density filter and possibly a graduated neutral density filter (all useful for certain things).

Your lens selection is a good way to go for most things. If you think you are going to want something longer than 200, you might want to look at the Sigma 70-300 APO lens - many people around here have it and have posted wonderful pictures with them. Another option is looking around for a used Pentax 300mm lens - my A*300 is an outstanding lens, but no longer in production so only available on the used market.

I have the Slingshot 200 bag and routinely carry two SLRs (K100 and K10), along with the following lenses:M 50mm 1.7 (bought in 1980), Phoenix 100mm 3.5 macro, kit lens (the 18-55 lens on your list), A*300mm f4 (my top lens), Takumar 135mm 2.5 (K-mount lens, came as a kit lens in 1980 with a Pentax ME camera) or (when it was working right - mine has a problem, which is unusual for this lens) the DA 50-200. Recently I added a home-made extension tube.

Personally I have a couple of 2 GB cards, rather than the 4. They work for me but I tend to carry a laptop (road trips mostly) so don't have trouble downloading often.

Can't help with the tripod - I usually hike with a monopod. I know I'd never bother with a tripod so I don't have a travel one.

Any lens with the green star designation or that says "limited" is a top quality Pentax lens.

The rocket thing is a rocket blower (mine is made by Giotto)- a hand blower for blowing the dust off (also works for lenses). You can usea turkey baster or any hand blower. Just don't use canned air! Highly recommend you get one right away.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2007, 8:48 AM   #3

I just got my K10D yesterday (loving it btw, I'm so glad I went with the Pentax!) and here is what i got:

2x Sandisk Extreme III 2GB SD card
300 AW Slingshot
2x Tiffen 52mm filters

I went with the Extreme III's because they have a 20MB/sec write and read

I was also going to go with the 200AW but opted to get the larger 300AW and glad I did. It's a tad smaller than a backpack but still enough room for me to carry all my camera stuff and then a few odds and ends for the family when out and about. You can never have to much room imo.

The filters are cheapos but basically for protection when I think I may need to protect my lenses for whatever reason. $20 for that option is worthit to me, rather never need them and have them than not having them and needing them.

Remember you'll get rebates on most of it, $150 total for the K10D and the 50-200, the 360FGZ has a $30 and the 540FGZ has a $50
chepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2007, 4:17 PM   #4

Around 6 weeks ago I got a similiar setup:

Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4

Impact battery, 300mm manual lens w/ adapter, 2GB Transcend memory (150x)

No regrets whatsoever. The FA50 is wonderful. If I had to change anything I'd consider only getting the FA50 then adding new lenses when the DA*s are available.
bruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2007, 10:37 PM   #5

chepburn wrote:

The filters are cheapos but basically for protection when I think I may need to protect my lenses for whatever reason. $20 for that option is worthit to me, rather never need them and have them than not having them and needing them.
Be ware of that, unless I know I am gong to be in a contaminating situation, rain sea mist/spray etc I rarely use "protection" filters

Depending on the situation they can cause internal relection and flare problems (for instance shooting a sunset)

Also if you run into low light AF problems, try taking them off as they can cause that too, especially on faster lenses.... din't notice it AS MUCH ntil I got a fast 50mm 1.4 and the filter after... in low light it was horridly slow/failing compared to bare lens.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 5:53 PM   #6

I don't quite understand the concept of using cheap "protection" filters. Cheap filters may only pass 90% of the light as well as providing their own distortion. Hoya PRO1D claims to allow 99.7%, but they don't qualify as cheap. However, you can get a Kenko PRO1D for substantially less. It's the same company and they are equivalent filters.

Your kit should be just fine until LBA sets in. Take lots of photos and examine them to see how you could improve on your results. Then take more.

The K10D is a great tool just begging for use.

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 1:49 PM   #7

Like your choice in tripods and heads.

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:22 PM   #8

Two things

1. Go for the 2 gig cards, they are known to be totally compatible, the 4Gig cards have some history for substandard performance, incompatibility and sticking int he camera. Also they are lot cheaper and easier to find.

2. Dont be in a rush to buy everythig at once. If this is your first DSLR then you will need a little while to get used to your camera and what style of shooting you like to do, Portraiture, landscape, action, macro, night, sports, candid and so on.

Then buy the leses and or flash you will need/want, i.e. the 540 flash versus the 360. Depending on what sort of photography you decide you will do will determine if you NEED the 540 other wise you could get away with the 360 at a lot less cost.

Good luck and enjoy your camera.

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 8:29 PM   #9

Thanks for all of the info so far.

I will plan on getting 2gig cards instead of the 4gig. I will also look into the filters mentioned.

I was also looking at other options for lenses, like the Sigma 70-300 APO, and the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 Di. But with the kit lens only adding $20 to the price I don't think I can pass that up.

As for what types of pictures, I think I already have a good idea. I use to have 2 film SLRs and really liked a wide variety, the one thing that I always wanted was a better portrait lens and flash, and I never got them (broke college student). The cameras actually didn't have a flash on them so I had no flash back then, so the K10D is already an improvement on that. I mostly took candid photos of people, lots of landscape and some macro. Being that I will be going into secondary teaching and having kids in the future I'm guessing sports might become something later on, but not right now.

The bag is between the Slingshot 200 and Slingshot 300. I was just wondering if I should go a little bigger from the start. I went to the Lowepro website to get an idea of the different sizes, but the picture of the bag on a person is the same between the 100, 200 and 300.

What are the new lenses coming out, and aren't they going to be pretty pricey? I actually considered waiting, but if the new lenses are all around $1,000 I don't think I will be getting them when they come out.

Thanks again for all the info.
Mcclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:10 PM   #10

My suggestions would be........

Buy the Battery Grip, I just got mine and I've fallen in love with it already.It really balances out the camera, plus the added controls are a godsend for portraiture. It's worth buying IMO.

I've been using the Pentax 50-200 lens on occasion as a portrait lens. Depending on the setting it's pretty good. And the 50mm f1.4 you mentioned getting is a really good lens for portraits. If youhave the cash to spend, the 77mm f1.8 limited is one heck of a piece of glass. I couldn't live without mine, but it WILL set you back some $.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote