Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 24, 2007, 6:44 PM   #11

Last comment:

There is no doubt that the "hard-core" action photographer can benefit from the faster performance of the mid to high end Canon/Nikon models (and now the Sony A700 looks promising), but check out the price on these models and they are 1.5 to 2X more expensive than a K10D. Photographers took BIF images before auto focus and auto exposure, it wasn't easy but it is possible, as your A* 300mm experience shows. My gannet shots were taken with a cheap, plastic mount FA 100-300mm f4.7-5.8 zoom (I now have a slightly better F 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 which is much nicer to use), I used manual exposure (metered from a group of birds) and the OK button to supply auto assisted manual focus. My percentage of good shots was not high but I did get some keepers. To do appreciably better I would have needed a camera capable of very high AF performance and a very accurate meter (a 1D series Canon or D2 series Nikon maybe). My entire kit costs less than one of their camera bodies.

I am an amateur on a budget so I make do with what I have. Tom (ennacac) has shown what is possible with a DS and K10D with his lenses set on MF. If I could afford the high end pro gear I may be tempted by Canon and Nikon as well, but in my price range their models do not offer any real advantage over my current gear, or the low cost upgrade to a K10D.

You also have a very impresssive lens collection now, one that you are becoming very adept at using.

I hope this does sound like I am trying to argue for anyone to stay with Pentax, or leave. Hung made a choice that was right for him under the circumstances, he wanted to progress in wildlife photography, and right now Pentax long tele glass is hard to find and expensive.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote