Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 7, 2007, 1:32 AM   #1

Goin' to tha' Smokies and it is your chance to tell me what to take....I plan on taking a 28mm Tamron F/2.4, a vivitar 28mm f.3.5, a Super Takumar 35mm f3.5, a Auto Takumar 55mm f/1.8, a Pentax 50mm m F/2.0, a Takumar P/KA mount 28-80, a 18-55mm Kit lens, a Vivitar 105mm f/2.5 macro lens, a Sigma 100-300mm lens, a vivitar series 1 70-210mm f/3.5, a vivitar 80-200mm f.4.5, a Vivitar 300mm f/5.6 and finally my Cokin Filter System that will fit all my lens... And the kitchen sink if I can fit it into my Dodge Diesel truck. LOLOLOLOL

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2007, 2:14 AM   #2

Don't forget to bring a camera.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 4:38 AM   #3

I do a lot of travelling at the moment and have learnt to lighten the load. Looking at your lens selection, I see a lot of duplication.

Tamron 28mm f/2.4,
Vivitar 28mm f/3.5,
Super Tak 35mm f/3.5

Auto Tak 55mm f/1.8
Pentax 50mm m f/2.0

Tak P/KA 28-80mm
Sigma 18-55mm

Vivitar 105mm f/2.5 macro lens
Sigma 100-300mm lens
Vivitar ser1 70-210mm f/3.5
Vivitar 80-200mm f.4.5
Vivitar 300mm f/5

Take one from each of the first three groups and from the last group the Vivitar 105mm f/2.5 macro, Vivitar 80-200mm f.4.5 and Vivitar 300mm f/5.

Out of the 20 something lenses I have now, I carry my 10-20mm, 28-70mm f/2.8, 300mm f/2.8 and shortly the 70-200 f/2.8, a 2x tele and flash gear and slaves, mono and tripod, ND and CP filters. If I have room a set of Macro tubes.

I think I need to start selling off all the other lenses I have that I never use anymore.

Hey! LSA... (Lens selling addiction) well not really, it would just fund my next lens buy :G

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 5:53 AM   #4

I'LL have to agree with Crash on this. You know the best ones from each group and pick It.
In the 4 th group the 105 and the Sigma 100-300

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:23 AM   #5

Dawg, I'll have to agree with Crash & Phil...obviously, you know your stuff a helluva lot better than (especially) me. I just wanted to remind ya to make sure that you get some great pics! Like I had to tell YOU that!:GBut hopefully, get some good fall shots...I've been jonesin' for some fall leaves & it's gonna be at least a couple more weekends before I get my sorry butt down into the Shawnee Natl Forest to get some firsthand sights!

Oh yeah...Crash...I'm pretty sure that LSA is nothing more than an urban legend. It is a just factor in the LBA...just in reverse!Getting rid of stuffto make room for more stuff.

Have a good safe trip, Dawg! Hopefully, the diesel won't cost ya an arm & a leg for that Dodge!

wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:32 AM   #6

I agree as well, you can edit that list down to the best lenses and the irreplaceable lenses. One 28mm andone 50mm for instance, anda Vivitar 70-210mm really makes the 80-200mm redundant. Most of the other stuff is probably necessary since it fills a particular niche.

And it really is a good idea the take the camera.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:42 AM   #7

Unless you are just planning to run some comparative lens tests, I can't imagine lugging all that stuff around up and down the mountains. However, if you have plenty of room in your truck, and you have a small portable bag that you can throw 3-4 lenses in for specific outings, why not take a broad selection.

I don't worry about you remembering the camera....but I can see hiking the mile or so up to the summit at Clingman's Dome, turning on the camera, and getting the "no memory card" message.

BTW, I hope you do get some good fall colors. With it 90 degrees in October in the Ouachitas, I think we're going to skip Fall and go straight to Winter with little color. That's happened in a couple of hot, dry summers recently.

Added as an "oops:" For your safety since you've told us she's armed, I would suggest you take your wife.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 12:17 PM   #8

Ditto all the above. only take the one's that aren't redundent. it's a waste of space and a worry if you leave it somewhere. guess i'd cut the

vivitar 28mm f.3.5
vivitar 80-200mm f.4.5
and maybe the Sigma 100-300mm lens

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 2:31 PM   #9

Thanks for the input guys....One of the things I wanted to do this trip is get more in town shots of Gatlinburg..especially night time shots. Things are pretty crowded thus the preponderance of wide and fast(for me anyway) lens. Also some of the wide angle and normal lens are very tiny and light weight. So after seeing what you guys have to reccomend here is what I decided.. Green goes and Orange stays...

Tamron 28mm f/2.4, Focusing issues have cropped up with this one

Vivitar 28mm f/3.5, Very very sharp little lens and weighs nothing...Good hiker for vistas. Just wish it wasn't a screw mount but the adapter is loc-tited on now.. But redundant and not really needed

Super Tak 35mm f/3.5 I agree--redundant and a screw mount as well

Auto Tak 55mm f/1.8 Very sharp and reasonably fast but redundant and a screw mount

Pentax 50mm m f/2.0 Sharp enough and fast enough as I've used it umpteen times in the dark.

Takumar P/KA 28-80mm This and the kit lens should give me both wide vistas and buildings in town. The 28-80 is the sharper of the two but the Kit lens is quicker focusing...First day there will tell me which one...The other will stay in the room.

Pentax 18-55mm kit lens Fast focus for people shots.

Vivitar 105mm f/2.5 macro lens Always need a good macro and it is very good at infinity too. This one and the 50mm will work good at night in town with the Bogen Tripod

Sigma 100-300mm lens Not needed for what I'll mostly be shooting.

Vivitar ser1 70-210mm f/3.5 Do nearly 60 percent of the out of town shots.

Vivitar 80-200mm f.4.5 Redundant and slower than the Viv 1

Vivitar 300mm f/5 Would like this for those far off compressed shots.
[line]The wife goes as well so..

Wife Has the money and would kill me if I didn't take her!!

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 3:03 PM   #10

Whiskey. Some of those places are dry as a popcorn fart...
Eddie OM35 is offline   Reply With Quote