Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 27, 2007, 4:16 PM   #1

Thank you all for the warm welcome here!

So let me start to say something more then :-). I did not start with photography last week but more or less with nature photography arround 2 years ago! My main photography hunger is going to aquarium photography and special for discus fish

In this one I only made the dark grey background totally black and was done at a show in Germany! Shot with the K100D and the 17-70mm sigma!

As said I love to shoot in nature and special birds! This is what I do the most and when I find some time I am going out good or bad weather. I love it outside! My most photographed bird at the moment is the difficult to catch Kingfisher! Tlll 4 months ago this bird wa sthe highest at my wish list to shoot and see here my Kingfisher! This KF below is a male KF.

Here below you see a female shot at a different location! All KF shots are done with the Pentax SMC A * 600mm

Below a male KF

Again a KF male

and a female

It is going to be boring :roll:again a KF but now it the rain :-)

hmmm already 7 photo's have to stop to make a new posting next week to show you some more!

correction t wil be 8 photo's Here you can see how I hide myself for this very shy bird! Sitting hours and hours before he shows up!

so this is it for now!

regards Walter

ps I hope you all don't mind me posting so much photo's!
ToXiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2007, 4:49 PM   #2

I was never really into bird shots, but these are very impressive!!

Keep posting, no one will complain if you post more great shots like these.:-)
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 5:04 PM   #3

Hi Walter,

I also worked for a couple of years to photograph our version of the Kingfisher. I had a number of experiences chasing them from tree to tree around a lake, then got a good chance relatively recently. The Belted Kingfisher we have around here aren't as spectacularly colored as the European ones, but are very satisfying to capture.

My best shots were posted here:

Certainly not as good as yours, but pretty good for 714mm, using two stacked converters, and handheld.

I don't think anyone will complain about you posting too many images -- on the contrary, you'll probably get more heat if you don't post more! :-)
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 5:17 PM   #4

Your kingfishers are awesome! I love the one in the rain (can you send some of that wet stuff over to California, please?). They are all really impressive.

I also loved the fish -how much ambient light was there at the show? I took some jellyfish pictures a while back, but the aquarium was quite dark and I had a really difficult time getting anything useable. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated since I'm hoping to go to another aquarium sometime relatively soon.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 6:06 PM   #5

no comment!! lol

well, except, how did you take the last one??

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:21 PM   #6

Welcome Walter, lovely images, and sitting there takes a lot of patience, more than I have. :lol:

Roy, you should know better........ Walter go the KF to take THAT shot. :G

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:41 PM   #7

All seven:-) are just superb. Having to pick one, I find the kingfisher in the rain uber-cool. Waiting for more...
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 2:16 AM   #8

Sure is inspireing! I'll have to get serious about my nature photography some time soon. I have a problem with patience, though. Where do you find kingfishers and such in The Netherlands? My impression has always been that Holland is the biggest city in Europe.:-)

Keep posting!

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 4:46 AM   #9

@nadnerbI will try to post everyweek some of them and can try to do it till I have used them all twice a week

@snostormYour shots are good, however it is not that rich colored I like the bird !

@mtngalThese Discusfish where kept in competition tanks (80 x 40 x 40 cm) with regular tank light. I never use flash but instead of that I work with faster lenses. Discusfish are not swimming fast throug the tank so thats my lucky part! Using a tripod and shooting at a angel through the window must do the trick I always did and have at my Discusfish website more then 3000 pictures (starting from the beginning,in 1996, very bad to latest versions good, not superb but good)

@robarhahahah you are right Roy :-)

@Crashmanwhen you want something you can do it :roll:

@DigitalAddictwait till I show my latest vapor headed KF till now everybody was saying that they never saw such thing before

@bilybiancayou are right it is very crowded here but there is still space left fr animals and also for this great KF. As I said it was at top of my list to shoot a KF. I know many of them but all at places I cannot get close enough or at places I canot get permission to walk at that part of and . I do have now 2 a 3 spots I can get very close to them in the neighborhood of Utrecht!

@allthanks for the kind words.
ToXiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 7:57 AM   #10

My forum time has been limited lately so I missed your first post Toxiq. Still let me say welcome and "wow", great shots of the king fisher. What kit did you use to capture those shots?

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote